Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Security Products

bericaleb
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

no sure if this post should be under this topic. I have a question to ask. Our company's network is CISCO based and only recently we had another vendor introduced and that is Juniper. Juniper reps who were promoting Juniper technology said alot of things about CISCO which I personally didn't like. Is it true that Juniper Security products are top of the class and that CISCO is not? I am confused. I am under the impression that CISCO is still the leading provider for Security compared to other vendors. I need assurance.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It's the job of the Juniper guys to sell their products. When selling they will provide you 3rd party reports saying they are the best and Cisco isn't. They will point out all of Cisco weaknesses. When you talk to Cisco they will do the same thing about Juniper devices. It's the business of selling. Each vendor has it strengths and it's weaknesses. No one vendor is the best in all areas. We use Juniper and Cisco firewalls. We like Junipers because they can do some things that Cisco can't. On the other hand, Cisco can do some things that Juniper can't. It's all about what features are important to you and the placement of the device(s).

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Bernadette

Collin is spot on with this. It would be highly unlikely if Juniper reps said that Cisco was actually better but their products are not that bad :-).

On a more serious note though, in my last position one of my responsibilities was meeting with vendors and evaluating products. If you find that a vendor concentrates more on what is so wrong with other vendors than what is so good about their equipment you may want to question why that is.

Jon

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It's the job of the Juniper guys to sell their products. When selling they will provide you 3rd party reports saying they are the best and Cisco isn't. They will point out all of Cisco weaknesses. When you talk to Cisco they will do the same thing about Juniper devices. It's the business of selling. Each vendor has it strengths and it's weaknesses. No one vendor is the best in all areas. We use Juniper and Cisco firewalls. We like Junipers because they can do some things that Cisco can't. On the other hand, Cisco can do some things that Juniper can't. It's all about what features are important to you and the placement of the device(s).

Hope that helps.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Bernadette

Collin is spot on with this. It would be highly unlikely if Juniper reps said that Cisco was actually better but their products are not that bad :-).

On a more serious note though, in my last position one of my responsibilities was meeting with vendors and evaluating products. If you find that a vendor concentrates more on what is so wrong with other vendors than what is so good about their equipment you may want to question why that is.

Jon

Thanks Collin and Jon. Much appreciated.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: