Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco BCMSN Command Reference: error?

Wassim Aouadi
Level 4
Level 4

Hi networkers,

Does anybody have used that book? I think there's a typo in the "Configuration example: InterVLAN Communication" exercice, page 48.

If you take a look at it, L2Switch2 has 4 VLANs in the 172.16.x.0/24 network. But the workstations have IP addresses that belong to the 192.168.x.0 network.

Besides, subinterfaces on the CORP router have 192.168.x.0 network addresses.

Any idea?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thats just a poor job of proofreaders checking the book , the addressing is wrong . they substituted 192.168 for the 172 addresses .

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Wassim

I don't have that book but it wouldn't be the first time that there were errors. A lot of computer books have errors in the configuration examples. You may want to check the ciscopress site to see if there are any updates.

Perhaps if you posted the example. Not sure what you mean by L2 vlans in 172.16.x.0/24. If the workstations have 192.168.x.x addressing and the L2 switch connects to the router via a trunk and the subinterfaces on the router have 192.168.x.x then where does the 172,16.x.x part come in ?

Jon

Here's the lab topology.

Thats just a poor job of proofreaders checking the book , the addressing is wrong . they substituted 192.168 for the 172 addresses .

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Wassim,

I have another edition of the book.

However, be prepared because some errors are present in every book so a critical indipendent point of view has to be used.

It may be possible in a first time L2switch2 was connected to L3switch1 instead of CORP router in the idea of the example designer.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card