Views
Helpful
Replies

Looking for the right L3 switch

coletemple
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am looking for a L3 switch to use in our distribution layer with these capabilities:

-wccp v2 support (for our web cache)

-possibility to put a rate limit on each port of the switch

These two aspects are important among the others i already have.

Also I would like to be able to use fiber optic on the switchs ports(adapter or stand alone) in a nearer future to connect those ports to some other remote locations in my network.

answers will be much appreciated.

7 Replies 7

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

How much can you spend ?

as much as necessary.by the way, do you have any info about good websites where to find the products?

You can contact me to the address present in my profile for a lead to reputable resellers, new and used.

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Paul,

a Cisco 3560 can be a solution it supports WCCPv2 and QoS / rate limiting.

For the fiber optics it should have two SFP slots

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.2_46_se/configuration/guide/swwccp.html

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have you visted the Cisco Product Advisor Tool? It's a very good interactive tool which will help you narrow down your choice to a few candidates.

http://www.ciscowebtools.com/ProductAdvisor/

When you are done, contact Paolo ahd he'll help you with alot of the nitty-gritty setup and configurations.

Hope this helps!

Paolo: Please don't forget me when you are organizing your Christmas list. he he he ...

Many thanks for your answer.really helpful.

Hi,

Thanks for the link on cisco website about products. I am still trying to choose the right L3 switch (if possible, a generation below 4500 series) as I want also to implement some security features like TCP Intercept. Also, what does RP rate limiters stands for in the cisco product advisor web page? I want to be able to limit the rate on every port of the switch...

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card