cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PASSWORD ISSUE

sternruler04
Level 1
Level 1

Pls,i misplaced the telnet password for a catalyst 3650 switch. I have tried configuring a new one through password recovery procedure but its nt working out. Though, i still have the console password. Is there any way i can change the password? pls reply.

6 Replies 6

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

Hi:

What do you mean it didnt work?

It should work.

You have to break the boot sequence by using the break sequence keys for your model router. usually its ctrl-break, or something to that effect. Then you will be placed into ROMMON mode. There you change the config register to 0x2142, and reload the device.

This will load a blank running config. You configure the passwords, do a copy start run, and then reload.

HTH

Victor

Awwww ... Victor. This procedure is the Password Recovery for a router not a switch. :P

He he he ...

Have a Happy Easter friend.

adam.sellhorn
Level 4
Level 4

If you still have the console password then why would you need to do a password recovery? Are you not able to console into the device and then change the telnet password?

Im assuming he can only get into user exec mode and not privilege exec to make any configuration changes.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you can change the configuration, sure you can:

enable

config t

line vty 0 15

password

end

write

Tadaa!!!

Happy Easter!

Thanks a bunch. it worked out. though i ve to first disable the password authontication command. b4 rewritting the password.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card