Best Practice for NM-WLC ?

Unanswered Question
Apr 9th, 2009

In the last couple of weeks, I have been trying to setup a NM-AIR-WLC6-K9 on a 2811 router.

I tried various setup combinations as described in :-

My network is very simple (just a few subnets with a router on a stick in between) , and initially I wanted to place all the wireless clients in the same subnet as the wired clients.

The only way I could get that to work, was by using BVI and sub-interfaces on the 2811 hosting the NM-WLC. (This 2811 is not the default gateway / router-on-a-stick. I have another router that enables routing between subnets.)

While that works, I have a problem with SNMP replies packets that get sent from the NM-WLC to wired/wireless subnet.

Finally, I have come to the conclusion (perhaps incorrectly, and therefore this post), that the best way to set wireless clients is :-

1. To have them in their own separate subnets.

2. Have a separate subnet for the WLC

So for example:-

Data Net :- (wired)

Voice Net :- (wired)

Wireless Net :- (wifi)

Network for WLC Management and AP :- (wlan-controller subnet)

Can anyone who uses a NM-WLC please share their thoughts ?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
gamccall Mon, 04/13/2009 - 14:18

I haven't worked with the NM-WLC specifically, but in general it is best practice to have your network management addresses on a different vlan from your client traffic.

You should be able to dump your wireless client trafic onto your main data subnet if you really want to (although I generally don't), but definitely keep the management vlan isolated.

jogentry Fri, 10/30/2009 - 07:07

I have the same hardware setup and I'm having issues as well. I'd like to see what you and others have done.

I can't figure out how to get traffic from outside the router to enter the WLC. I've configured my int service-module wlan-controller 1/0 with an IP, and then configured the controller mgmt interface IP on the same subnet.

If I plug my laptop into the router, I cannot browse to the WLC GUI or even ping it.

shahedvoicerite Fri, 10/30/2009 - 07:19

I did figure out eventually how to get everyting working as per my requirments.

I now have wireless clients on the same subnet as wired, BUT the WLC is in its own subnet.

I had to use BVI's to get everything to work correctly. I'll post the config shortly

This Discussion