Network Testing

Unanswered Question

We are starting to add redundancy to our network, in the form of L3 rings, L2 loops w/ STP, Etherchannel, and 3750 stacks.

Can any one recommend software or things to monitor on the switch and routers, that will let me know how long convergence takes when I test remove links from the network?

Also any recommendations to test the network would be helpful. I was going to test by removing network cables, and just setup multiple pings from multiple locations. Then look at the result. There has to be a better way.

Thank You

Overall Rating: 3 (2 ratings)
lamav Thu, 04/09/2009 - 08:22
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more

"Also any recommendations to test the network would be helpful. I was going to test by removing network cables, and just setup multiple pings from multiple locations. Then look at the result. There has to be a better way."

Im sure theres something a lot mor sopisticated, but to be honest with you,. that is exactly how I have always tested redundancy and failover times. Just running directed PING tests consistently and repeatedly all over the network as I tested one link after another...

HTH

Victor

Collin Clark Thu, 04/09/2009 - 08:23
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more

That's how I do it too. I use PingPlotter, much better representation and it shows route changes.

Actions

This Discussion