We are planning on a rolling out a customer-oriented, CPE-based, on-net VoIP system, and are running into some problems.
We have the following design needs:
1. Deliver customer Internet via T1, MOE, etc (done)
2. Deliver reliable VoIP service (done)
3. Be not super expensive (why we're rolling Cisco+Asterisk)
4. Deliver easy, reliable modem & fax support via Cisco modem passthrough/relay
- we have noted that T.38 is a disaster, and faxing at even 9600baud over VoIP is unreliable.
- We are trying to avoid rolling a POTS line to Customer's site.
That last #4 is the hangup.
Our design (attached) is to plumb Local Toll + Fax/Modem stuff out of an AS5300/PRI/PSTN, and all LongDistance/Overflow Local calls across Asterisk+SIPCarrier.
Our CPE device, in our present implementation, is a Cisco IAD2431 - lets us deliver a T1/etc of Internet, VoIP and standard FXS in one box - all across SIP. We are currently able to deliver DIA, standard VoIP & FXS/PSTN without a problem, but the fax/credit card/alarm system is hard.
Our plan to resolve that is to use Modem passthrough/relay and deliver the Fax/Modem service directly to the PSTN on a PRI, rather than trying to monkey with T.38/FoIP/Our SIP provider.
The problem is that we can't seem to make the IAD detect a fax call and send it to the AS5300 rather than Asterisk. We -can- PLAR an FXS port to the AS5300, but this is a pretty clunky solution. Detecting the fax call and routing it across the passthrough/relay-enabled service is critical to our problem-free fax/modem needs.
We have two possible solutions - attach the IAD directly to Asterisk (may not work), OR plumb -all- calls through the AS5300 ($$$):
1. customer -> IAD -> Asterisk -> AS5300 -> PRI/PSTN
- Our concern is that Asterisk may munge the Cisco-specific SIP notification of modem passthrough/relay stuff
2. Customer -> IAD -> AS5300 -> (PRI/PSTN)|| (Asterisk-->SIP)
- Concern here is that it all calls have to be proxied/registered with the AS5300, and we would like to avoid that ($$$)
1) Anybody know if Asterisk can proxy a Cisco modem passthrough SIP session without problems?
2) Can an AS5300 match fax/modem traffic and drop terminate it on the PRI automatically?
3) Is the AS5XX0 the best device for this in the sub-$10,000 range?
4) Do you have other suggestions concerning how to accomplish this?