Views
Helpful
Replies

Preparing for BSCI 642-901 with books for 642-801

CriscoSystems
Level 5
Level 5

Hi guys

I posted this over in the Certifications forum but it hasn't been too active over there. Hopefully someone here can answer:

Hi Guys

I have a bunch of study materials for the old BSCI exam (642-801). I hear that 642-901 covers OSPF v 3 and multicast routing & pim.

I have learned of some changes to the IPv6 specs since my study materials were published (no more site-local addressing, e.g.).

So do I need to buy all new $60 textbooks, or is there a less expensive way to brush up on the material that's new in 642-901 and not covered in the 642-801 curriculum?

3 Replies 3

Istvan_Rabai
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Seth,

I would suggest you buying Routing TCP/IP Vol I and Vol II from Jeff Doyle.

It covers the subjects of BSCI and more.

Clear explanations, excellent scenarios.

And you will be able to use it for preparations for your CCIE level as well.

Cheers:

Istvan

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Stuey,

please don't buy the books suggested by Istavan or you will stop to put questions about OSPF and IS-IS in these forums ...

You can integrate your current books with materials taken from the CCO if you want to save money.

Compare the two blueprints if 90% of points are in common this approach is possible.

In the long term buying few valuable books like those of Jeff Doyle is a good investement regardless of (re)-certification issues: you will like them.

Side effect:

your insatisfaction about other books will increase.

Good Easter !!

Hope to help

Giuseppe

adam.sellhorn
Level 4
Level 4

Safari Books Online is a pretty good tool to subscribe to if you want to have access to updated editions of these books without having to spare an entire room of your house for outdated editions.

http://my.safaribooksonline.com

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card