cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ping & Traceroute problem

godrej123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi This is Anup here. We have Cisco 3660 Router installed in our organization. On one of the port we have terminated a VPN service provider. The problem is that since last 2-3 months we could not able to troubleshoot multiple links connected to that interface by applying Ping or Traceroute commands.

Few characteristic of the router is attached here with.

On a same router in other interface we have terminated other service provider, from which we can do the activities like Ping and Traceroute.

If any other inputs are required you can contact me.

Regards,

Anup C Barot

Godrej infotech Ltd.,

E-Mail: anupsb@godrej.com

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Anup,

a) may you provide example of the output of the failed traceroute and ping tests ?

b) you say this is a link to a VPN provider, do you mean an L3 MPLS VPN service ?

if this is the case the change in behavior can be a result of a change in configuration of the service provider and not a sign of a problem on your router.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

a) Below is the example for specific single Tunnel interface. We have configured such 50 tunnels for the service provider and with all tunnels PING and TRACEROUTE are not working:

VPNROUTER#sh run interface tunnel16

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 200 bytes

!

interface Tunnel16

description >>> Tunnel to Ahmed<<<

ip unnumbered Loopback0

ip mtu 1360

load-interval 30

tunnel source 210.210.89.100

tunnel destination 202.144.35.76

tunnel mode ipip

end

VPNROUTER#ping 202.144.35.76

Type escape sequence to abort.

Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 202.144.35.76, timeout is 2 seconds:

Success rate is 0 percent (0/5)

VPNROUTER#traceroute 202.144.35.76

Type escape sequence to abort.

Tracing the route to 202.144.35.76

1 * * *

2 * * *

3 * * *

****BUT THE LOCATION CONNECTIVITY IS WORKING FINE, WE COULD ABLE TO PING OR TELNET THE LOCATION LAN IP FROM MY DESKTOP***

b) The service is IP VPN, whether it is L3 or L2 that I am not sure.

“After restarting the router, PING and TRACEROUTE is working fine for half an hour", after that, it stops working. That is why I am suspecting some buffer or Memory issue.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card