Helpful
Replies

Slow transfer speeds on PIX506e

m-jankowski
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I'm having an issue with my PIX506e.

I have a 15M/2M connection to my ISP but my download speeds are only 3M and my upload speeds are only 1M once I installed my PIX. I tried resetting to factory defaults and all that jazz. I hope there isn't a limitation as to how fast of a connection you can have with my PIX. Anyway.. I hope someone has an easy, or not so easy, fix for me.

Thanks!

7 Replies 7

m-jankowski
Level 1
Level 1

bump... sorry... but I'd really like to know why my $1500 router isn't performing the way it should.

Thanks.

Hi Michael,

Your PIX should be able to handle that speed with no problems.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/ps4336/index.html

How are you testing your throughput? Have you verified your connection speed without using the PIX?

HTH

Kevin

m-jankowski
Level 1
Level 1

I've tested with a smoothwall router... and my laptop plugged straight into the cable modem. Both get between 13-15mb/s... pix is only getting 3mb/s.

I've checked duplex settings, errors, everything... went through cisco's troubleshooting page for performance and can't seem to figure it out.

Hi,

What is on the LAN side on the PIX?

Could you post your config?

What are you using to measure the throughput of the PIX?

Kevin

LAN side is two 8 port Netgear gigabit switches and a NG WAP.

I'm using speedtest.net and toast.net to measure, but transferring files to and from my dedicated hosting server is another way I was testing.

Hi,

Without seeing your PIX config, there's not much more to do.

I would say though, that those web based speed tests are not accurate.

What I would suggest is that you try putting a host on both sides of your PIX and using iperf (or something similar) to test the real throughput of your PIX.

Kevin

I understand they can be inacurate. But going from 15M to 3M on it pretty much says it. It has the option of testing multiple servers, which I have, and I've also used my dedicated hosting server, which has a 100mb connection to several different networks.

I will post the config when I get home later, but it's the basic configuration that comes when you apply the defaults.

I would upgrade my PDM to see if that fixes it, but I don't have a support license with Cisco.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card