CCIE WIRELESS

Unanswered Question
Apr 10th, 2009

HI Guys

I know the cert is very new , but i would like to know who has written the exam as yet since i will be writing next week.

Just would like to know your feedback on the exam.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
gamccall Mon, 04/13/2009 - 14:01

Can't get into any details, of course. Difficulty level is about what it ought to be; it's passable if you know the material, but you're not going to breeze through it if you don't have a fair amount of hands-on and/or serious study time. Check the blueprint and make sure you know everything on that list.

dennischolmes Mon, 04/13/2009 - 15:32

Exactly. I felt it was about what it should be. I have worked on LWAPP and Cisco wireless since the Airespace days and several of the questions required careful thought. If you have several years hands on experience you should have no problem. The lab on the other hand is going to be a bear I think.

lashkery Sat, 04/18/2009 - 01:56

Do you have any updates on Wireless CCIE written? Have you attempted, please let me know as I am interested also.

mark.cronin Tue, 04/21/2009 - 11:55

I passed the written

The Cisco Press CCNA book helped

also

The CWNA Sybex book was good

There are questions on autonomous APs I know nothing about - look up SWAN

Not many RF calculations

Download Cisco Spectrum expert and study the demo captures.

I believe the CWNA CWSP and CWNE tracks are harder. I have not passed these but they cover a lot more RF theory.

Mark

thags Wed, 04/22/2009 - 23:32

Hi Guys

Just to let you know i was successful in passing the Drake ,the exam is very challenging , learn your design and deployment design guides in and out.

Roman Rodichev Sat, 05/09/2009 - 12:45

I'm doing mine in San Jose on Thursday.

thags, did you pass the written or the lab?

thags Sat, 05/09/2009 - 23:46

That right mate i paased the written ,i wish you all the luck and please give us feedback on the Lab

i am from SA although i work closely with Cisco SA its a machine to get the lab kit to practice on,so keep all the boys informed

Cheers mate and Good Luck

Roman Rodichev Sun, 05/10/2009 - 19:37

Thanks and I'll let you know how it goes. I'm not hoping to pass on the first attempt. I've been studying the following:

- autonomous AP (hands-on + config guide + command reference guide + technotes)

- wlc (hands-on + config guide + technotes)

- wcs (hands-on + config guide)

- location appliance (no hardware)

- netpro

- ACDU + CSSC + Spectrum Expert (hands-on)

- ACS + IAS + AD + CA (hands-on)

c.jolliffe Mon, 05/11/2009 - 12:07

I'm doing the lab in SJ tomorrow 5/12. I have done as much hands on as I can do so I'm just reading the config/deployment guides over today. My expectations are not that high right now just because the blueprints are so broad. If it doesn't go well at least I will have a better idea on what I need to focus on. I just hope I don't get a ZERO ;) I haven't heard of anyone else that has tried the lab....

dennischolmes Mon, 05/11/2009 - 12:24

That's because none of us wanted to be the first christian thrown to the lions. They are pretty hungry ya know!! Good luck man and keep us up to date.

c.jolliffe Mon, 05/11/2009 - 17:04

I hope there isn't anything to configure on the Microsoft side. I've done it before but it can be time consuming. According to the lab software list I don't see anything Microsoft listed.

c.jolliffe Mon, 05/11/2009 - 18:30

Oh, by the way.. I won't be able to answer that as I don't want to violate the NDA. Sorry.

dennischolmes Fri, 05/15/2009 - 03:22

I dare say he is out drinking somewhere. LOL Drinking to calm the misery or as I hope, drinking in celebration. Either way, give hime a day or two more for it all to sink in. Any other brave souls take it yet?

dennischolmes Fri, 05/15/2009 - 03:23

I dare say he is out drinking somewhere. LOL Drinking to calm the misery or as I hope, drinking in celebration. Either way, give hime a day or two more for it all to sink in. Any other brave souls take it yet?

c.jolliffe Fri, 05/15/2009 - 04:55

I agree with that. This lab will make you drink one way or the other ;) I'm just getting over my lab from Tuesday. It was pretty bad. The material itself followed the blueprint and I didn't feel there was anything that bad on it but the equipment did not behave. I have done hundreds of deployments and I have not seen the hardware act like this. Needless to say I didn't pass as the troubleshooting really ate up most of the afternoon.

Roman Rodichev Fri, 05/15/2009 - 09:09

I also didn't pass, and just like you said, I ran into a couple of silly issues that just took up too much time to troubleshoot. I finished the whole lab right on the clock, but you really need those 1-2 hours at the end to verify everything and to reread every single word in the book. Oh well, I'm going back in August hopefully. I know my weak spots now and just need to brush up on those.

c.jolliffe Fri, 05/15/2009 - 11:33

Well you did better than I did because the troubleshooting prevented me from completing two sections.

Roman Rodichev Wed, 07/29/2009 - 15:55

passed yesterday on 2nd attempt, it's a great test!!!

Regards,

Roman

6xCCIE #7927 (R&S, Security, Voice, Storage, SP, Wireless)

c.jolliffe Wed, 07/29/2009 - 16:00

Great job! Does that make you number 4? Did you run into any crazy issues?

craig.schnarrs Tue, 06/23/2009 - 04:54

Hey, I have been reading this thread with much interest. anyone interested in setting up a CCIE wireless study group?

I have been to the IUWMS beta class for the ccnp wireless it was great. the instructor was incredibly smart.

thags Tue, 06/23/2009 - 22:55

I agree 100% mate ,that a study group is the way to go, I know Sujuit and Flavian personally who set these labs ,and they made sure its not going to be easy ,thereby killing the perception that Wireless is easy.

If there is anything above board we need to chat aboard lets just MSN or Skype each other.

This is going to be challenging for sure.

craig.schnarrs Wed, 06/24/2009 - 04:39

Possibly we could setup a web blog or something. the main goal is that we communicate and support one another, i was thinking about taking a task and making a web video about it and putting it on a web blog, for example this is how you install WCS, or this is how you put an AP in sniffer mode with wireshark.

there are so many talented people out there , but i have not found the gathering site for us to come together and get this done.i am open to ideas.

George Stefanick Wed, 06/24/2009 - 07:12

count me in ... i sat the written already. Along the same idea, i created a site www.my80211.com. I only have 2 videos up now but i am in the middle of few already.

- Creating DHCP Option 43

- Sniffer Mode w/ wireshark

- AP Join process (in detail)

- ACS with peap config

craig.schnarrs Wed, 06/24/2009 - 16:04

if anyone is going to be taking any formal training (wireless), my personal recommendation is to use either fastlane or gigawave. i was in the ccnp wireless iuwms beta class and my instructor was a genius , and besides that he was very friendly and totally knows his stuff.

i figure if we get a good study group together, we could have a mailing list where we could ask each other questions if we got stumped on a problem at work , or just had an idea to try out. i think it would be cool.

craig.schnarrs Wed, 06/24/2009 - 15:59

I love that site!, thats what gave me the idea.. I kept checking it everyday and hoping you would update it. very nice site. if we all work together, we can get this done. a problem shared is a problem halved.

srosenthal Sun, 02/28/2010 - 09:53

I am going to take the CCIE Wireless written tomorrow and I am already looking into what prep I need to do to take the lab exam.

Has anybody taken the CCIE Wireless bootcamp offered by either CCBOOTCAMP.com or the one offered by Fast Lane training?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

c.jolliffe Sun, 02/28/2010 - 12:17

Can't speak for CCBOOTCAMP but I took the Fastlane bootcamp and I highly recommend it.  The instructor Jerome Henry is AWESOME.  I've taken numerous Cisco training classes over the last 15 years and this was by far the best.  If you can get to one of these bootcamps you won't be sorry!

srosenthal Sun, 02/28/2010 - 12:28

Thank you for the information.  Fast Lane is about 2k cheaper.  CCBootcamp is offering a free return to the class within one year if the student wanted to return, a feature I like.

When do you go to retake your lab?  Also, how far out to you have to schedule the lab?  Curious to know how far out they are booked already.  I guess I will find out soon if I pass the written tomorrow.

Thanx

c.jolliffe Sun, 02/28/2010 - 12:35

I believe Fast Lane will allow you to return if there is an open seat but I would check with them.

I'm going back on 4/1/10.  I've been studying for most of February but in March I will have to dedicate all of my free time to it.

I think the lab is booked pretty far out if you want to go to San Jose.  The two other sites are a little better.

Good luck on the written!

srosenthal Sun, 02/28/2010 - 12:45

Fast Lane does not post any information on what the class times are each day like CCBootcamp does.  How long was the class each day?  How many people were in your class?  Can you also recommend any other classes to take?

Good luck on the taking the lab.  Let us know how you do.  I will definetly check with Fast Lane on that option also.

If you want, you can email me at [email protected].

Seth

c.jolliffe Sun, 02/28/2010 - 13:00

My class was from 8:30am to around 7:00pm but you can pretty much stay as late as you want.  You also have remote access to the lab during the week.  The class size is limited to 6 people.  Jerome also teaches (and developed) the CCNP wireless classes so that would definately help if you feel you need to build up your core knowledge. I would watch Jerome's videos on Youtube.  Search for cciewireless and read his blog at http://wirelessccie.blogspot.com/.  I would also study Jeniffer Huber's blog at http://jenniferhuber.blogspot.com/.  Don't forgot http://www.my80211.com/.

Thanks and hope we both PASS!

srosenthal Mon, 03/01/2010 - 17:54

Well I am happy to say I passed the written today.  So now onto the lab

srosenthal Tue, 03/02/2010 - 15:19

c.jolliffe,

Where are you taking your lab test?  I went online today to see what dates are available for San Jose and it just says there are no dates available.  In fact, the only dates that show up is the Brussells location.  Not that I would mind a trip overseas.

I also was wondering, do you think that if you had taken the boot camp first that you would have passed the lab on the first go?

Thanx, Seth

srosenthal Sun, 03/07/2010 - 12:29

Well I got my lab sceduled for Nov 2nd.

I was looking for some input on the following questions:

Do you think its best to take the lab boot camp as close to the lab date as can be?  In my case, there is a boot camp class 3 weeks before the lab.

Would it be best to do the online lab and workbook before going to the boot camp?

What are people doing for lab equipment for self study?  I have some AP's but can't see to spending 7k on a WLAN controller.  I think we have a server in our office that I can get WCE, WLSE, and ACS loaded on.

Seth

George Stefanick Sun, 03/07/2010 - 17:17

I will be opening up my lab to the public in the next week or so ... It will include 4402-12 (1 maybe 2), 2106, 1142,1252 and 1131 AP.. I need to work out the details and topology... But stay tuned... I will be posting more info on my site ... www.my80211.com

This is for all the folks who dont have the gear as it is pretty $$ ... Im just gald to help ...

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics: Other Wireless Mobility

client could not be authenticated
Network Analysis Module (NAM) Products
Cisco 6500 nam
reason 440 driver failure
Cisco password cracker
Cisco Wireless mode