Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP MPLS VPN config problem

Hi,All

In Bgp Mpls vpn solution CE router should support MPLS vpn features or i need only run ebgp with PE router ?

Please suggest me on this problem.

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Sandeep,

the CE doesn't need to support MPLS or MPLS VPN: the approach is that the CE is left unchanged.

the PE-CE protocol can be eBGP, or other options are possible like OSPF, EIGRP or RIP but in all cases no special features are required on the CE router.

The requirements change only in the scenario of mpls interconnection of ISPs.

If you are considering an MPLS VPN service for an enterprise normal ip routing is required on the CE nodes

Hope to help

Giuseppe Larosa

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

Sandeep:

Giuseppe is correct in most instances.

I did some consulting work with a company that acted as the parent company for several hotel chains.

The routing information per hotel chain was separated into isolated IP VPNs within the enterprise domain, not just the service provider's cloud. So, the peering that occured at the CE contained several VPN and VRF instances and required that BGPv4 support the address family MPLS extensions and VRF capability.

So, the answer to your question is, it depends.

HTH

Victor

Thanks Giuseppe and victor for reply.

Actually we are design the datacenter solutionn with disaster recovery database feature or backup datacenter support.Their are 132 branches and two datacenter one is primary and another one is backup.Both the datcenter are connect to the MPLS VPN and all 132 branches also connect throgh mpls vpn to the datacenter.We are planning for advertise the same server ip subnet from both datacenter but primary datacenter advertise the ip subnet with better metric or advertise the ip subnet with AS path prepending from backup datacenter . Is it a right solution? or their is any other solution for this?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card