cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Back up config to ftp - always gets "Timed out"

DaleKnutsen
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 1711 running IOS 12.2(7)XR3. It provides the connection and firewall from our private net to the Internet. It is working fine.

I am learning how to back up the config file, I am using ftp: destination. I always get this type of error:

Error writing ftp://someIPAddress/someFileName (Timed out)

Apr 10 17:57:58.114 PDST: FTP: connect failed -- Connection timed out; remote host not responding

I have tried numerous FTP servers and FTP Server implementations, both inside the private network and out in the internet.

My preferred FTP service is a Microsoft one on the local private subnet (FTP is part of Microsoft IIS package). With this FTP service, it appears that the FTP username must be e.g. mydomain.dom\myname. I have tried using the ip ftp username to set that name, as well as including name and password right in the FTP URL. Always I just get "Connection timed out; remote host not responding". Does ftp to a microsoft FTP service work?

I can ping the FTP server no problem.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have you tried using TFTP?

Command: copy nvram:startup-config tftp:///

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have you tried using TFTP?

Command: copy nvram:startup-config tftp:///

DaleKnutsen
Level 1
Level 1

I installed a TFTPD32 service and that worked! (after getting Windows firewall to cooperate).

Thanks very much for the answer.

Hi Dale,

And thanks for the rating.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card