cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WiSM interface vlan requirement

js88888888
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone tell me why the AP-Manager and Management interfaces have to be on the same VLAN? I'm probably missing something about WiSM operations but if I'd appreciate the input.

thanks

js

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That is the only supported way. Any other way will not work. This goes for any WLC configuration and not just the WiSM. The management interface so you can manange the wlc it is aslo the defaut interface used when an ap first joins the wlc and then the ap-manager is used for the lwapp tunnel. If you have the management and ap-manager interfaces on a different subnet, then you will see a vlan mismatch on the switch. Also it is important to note that both these interfaces need to be native vlan on the trunk port.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Great, that makes sense.

In the future release, they are going to get rid of the AP-manager interface.... maybe it was too confusing and it seemed better to just tie it into the management interface.

-Scott

Thanks Fella, do you know of any rough release schedules or other interesting/important new features?

I'm asking because I'm about to implement a few new WiSMs, deploy WCS and migrate a whole bunch of APs in the next few months.

thanks!

You are better off speaking with your local SE regarding the new release.... You know how it is..... dates always change and feature come and go. In my opinion, the 4.2.130 7 4.2.176 are stable code versions. I don't like the 5.x code at all because of the issues I have seen and what others have talked about on this forum. So jumping onto a totally new firmware train is risky seeing how the 5.x code went.

-Scott

The last I heard, the "no ap manager" feature was only going to work on a new controller model, not any of the existing hardware.

I'd go ahead and migrate as planned; don't worry about future changes because change is inevitable anyway.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card