Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Point-to-Point bridging with a WLC

This is what I hope is an easy question: can I do a point-to-point bridge with a wireless lan controller (4402 running 4.2.176.0 if you need specifics) without running a mesh version of the code? Can I do it using 1242 AP's?

Thanks in advance....

12 Replies 12

gamccall
Level 4
Level 4

Nope. My suggestion would be to revert your 1242's to IOS. Or, upgrade your controller to 5.2 if you'd rather do controller-based mesh; 5.2 merges the mesh and indoor codesets again.

Awesome. +3

If I upgrade to 5.2 and pay the tax man for the mesh licenses, am I forced to use mesh AP's, or can I use something like a 1242? Can you tell I have some 1242's? (grin)

Hi Robert,

You would be good to go with the 1242"s :)

Cisco 1130 and 1240 Indoor Mesh Access Points

Cisco 1130 and 1240 are indoor access points which are by default configured as local (non-mesh). Specific configuration on the controller is required to convert these indoor access points to mesh access points, and to assign a specific mesh role of RAP or MAP.

The Cisco 1130 and 1240 are equipped with two simultaneously operating radios: a 2.4-GHz radio used for client access and a 5-GHz radio used for data backhaul.

•The 5-GHz radio supports the following bands: 5.15 GHz, 5.25 GHz, and 5.47 GHz.

Cisco Aironet 1520, 1130, 1240 Series Wireless Mesh Access Points, Design and Deployment Guide, Release 5.2

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/mesh/design/guide/MeshAP_52.html#wp1257546

Hope this helps!

Rob

+3 for Rob the human search engine! Thank you very much for pointing me to that document. I usually can find what I need on the Cisco site, but I hadn't seen that one.

Hi,

I have one more question about indoor/enterprise mesh (name it) and licensing. What kind of license this is ?? Do I have to apply same key or special file in WLC. Pleas be provide more info.

Thx in advance.

Cheers

Gregory

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/solutions/collateral/ns340/ns394/ns348/ns767/ordering_guide_c07-482365.html

You need one license per controller on which you intend to run indoor mesh APs.

In the past there has been no enforcement of this license requirement- i.e. the controller does not check to see if it's licensed for mesh or not- but as I understand that is supposed to be changed as of either 5.2 or 6.0. Not sure which.

hi Rob!!!

i just got confused over your line >>>

"The Cisco 1130 and 1240 are equipped with two simultaneously operating radios: a 2.4-GHz radio used for client access and a 5-GHz radio used for data backhaul. "

Does this mean these ap's can be used in MESH envi?

I checked this once with the 1242, and in its page there was no option to role it as neither a ROOT or a MESH ap, unlike in the 1500's page.

Thanks!!!

Yes, they can be used in Mesh, if you're using a code version which supports mesh- either a mesh-specific 4.1M version or 5.2.

hi there!

i checked from the wlc and wcs, the ap page of the 1242 ap (AIR-LAP1242AG-E-K9) doesn't have the mesh tab.

the wlc image is 5.2.178

pls. see attached.

is there a way to make the 1242 ap become a ROOT or a MESH access point as what you have Yes'd in your post?

are there any hidden config?

are the sw version correct to be able to build a mesh using 1242 access points?

thanks for any ideas. if this is feasible then this will solve some of our problems.

I can't access my mesh-capable controller from here, but I believe you have to change the AP role from "local" to "root" (or something like that), first.

Yep - go to the Wireless -> All AP's and click on the desired AP. Set the AP mode to "Bridge" and the AP will reboot. You'll have some config to do after that, but that should get you started...

WHOA!!!! this is huge!!!

I have not tried this yet but i feel this can really solve some of our problems.

Thanks very much... I want to give you 100 pts, mr. robert, obviously, 5pts is d max allowed. anyways,, thank you thank you!

FORUM RULES!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: