Replies

Hacking "power-on" messages??

pepsico_anz1
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys,

A stack of 3750 switches all reloaded with the message:

"System returned to ROM by power-on"

The probelm is nothing else in the room or power board lost power!

Is there any bug that can cause switches to crash, but display the power on message???

The outsourcer was logged in at the time to make changes, i cant log a tac case as the device is under their cco login not mine :(

Cisco IOS Software, C3750 Software (C3750-IPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.2(40)SE, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

4 Replies 4

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

Hi:

There is a bug that causes the 7200 series router to crash and give the system message that the system was returned to ROM by power-on.

There is no mention of the 3750, although Cisco seems to leave the door open that you might just be experiencing this on another switch.

After you make 110% sure that you did not lose power, do a "sh tech" and forward it to Cisco TAC.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1831/products_tech_note09186a008010876d.shtml#power

HTH

Victor

Thanks lamav, thats a likely cause, although pretty old now...

Unfortunately cant log a TAC case as its their device :( no write access for a sh tech

hobbe
Level 7
Level 7

if he did make changes then that most likely is the problem. ie he most likely tripped a bug or just reloaded the switches by mistake.

but that is something he should know since he would have lost connection when the switches shut down and rebooted.

but in general yes there are several bugs that causes the 3750s to reload.

however there is "normaly" a crash/debug file as a result of that type of reboot.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you do a "dir flash:", "dir flash1:" etc?

I want to find out if you have a "crashinfo" file/directory present. If you do, can you post the file?

Another thing, can you also do "sh post" and post the result?

I don't believe it's a bug because all of the stack switches had a power boot. Are all of the switches powered from the same power circuit? If this is so, then try to move alternate switches of the stack to a different power circuit. This happened to me once and I didn't realize that it was the power distribution board announcing that it was failing. A few months of continuously doing this, the board finally died: Bad electrical design.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card