Views
Helpful
Replies

Stack ports are changed to up and down automatically

yibo.shi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

The following messages are in the log and I don't make any operation in it.I want to know that whether the stack ports can be changed themselves or by somebody else:

.Apr 13 17:15:16: %STACKMGR-6-STACK_LINK_CHANGE: Stack Port 1 Switch 4 has changed to state UP

.Apr 13 17:15:16: %STACKMGR-6-STACK_LINK_CHANGE: Stack Port 2 Switch 3 has changed to state UP

.Apr 13 17:23:42: %STACKMGR-6-STACK_LINK_CHANGE: Stack Port 1 Switch 4 has changed to state DOWN

.Apr 13 17:23:44: %STACKMGR-6-STACK_LINK_CHANGE: Stack Port 1 Switch 4 has changed to state UP

.Apr 13 17:23:45: %STACKMGR-6-STACK_LINK_CHANGE: Stack Port 2 Switch 3 has changed to state DOWN

.Apr 13 17:23:45: %STACKMGR-6-STACK_LINK_CHANGE: Stack Port 1 Switch 4 has changed to state DOWN

.Apr 13 17:24:27: %STACKMGR-6-STACK_LINK_CHANGE: Stack Port 2 Switch 3 has changed to state UP

.Apr 13 17:24:28: %STACKMGR-6-STACK_LINK_CHANGE: Stack Port 1 Switch 4 has changed to state UP

.Apr 13 18:54:34: %STACKMGR-6-STACK_LINK_CHANGE: Stack Port 1 Switch 4 has changed to state DOWN

.Apr 13 18:54:35: %STACKMGR-6-STACK_LINK_CHANGE: Stack Port 2 Switch 3 has changed to state DOWN

.Apr 13 21:45:21: %STACKMGR-6-STACK_LINK_CHANGE: Stack Port 2 Switch 3 has changed to state UP

.Apr 13 21:45:23: %STACKMGR-6-STACK_LINK_CHANGE: Stack Port 1 Switch 4 has changed to state UP

Thank you very much!

6 Replies 6

hobbe
Level 7
Level 7

they are just like any other port in the switch.

if you have a lot of that type of loggs as you seem to have i would check that the cable is fastened propperly if it is then I would exchange the (most likely faulty) cable.

if it continues after doing the above then I would look at the environment (electric cables close to it and such if it is not that then the switch, and exchange one of the switches as you then most likely have a faulty port. if it continues after the switchchange then it is most likely the remaining switch. (ie the one of 3 or 4 you left behind) test it towards another switch. if you find it to show the symptoms, bag and tag to send back for exchange/repairs on the warranty contracts.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Make sure the stacking cables are screwed properly and inserted correctly. From the errors you have here, it does NOT look like a switch has a bad stacking system.

syntaxmonster
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i have the exact issue with two 3750-e switches

Dec  9 13:06:39.680 CET: %STACKMGR-4-STACK_LINK_CHANGE: Stack Port 2 Switch 2 has changed to state UP
Dec  9 13:06:42.071 CET: %STACKMGR-4-STACK_LINK_CHANGE: Stack Port 1 Switch 1 has changed to state DOWN
Dec  9 13:06:43.094 CET: %STACKMGR-4-STACK_LINK_CHANGE: Stack Port 1 Switch 1 has changed to state UP
Dec  9 13:06:53.781 CET: %STACKMGR-4-STACK_LINK_CHANGE: Stack Port 2 Switch 2 has changed to state DOWN
Dec  9 13:06:55.794 CET: %STACKMGR-4-STACK_LINK_CHANGE: Stack Port 2 Switch 2 has changed to state UP

This message is beeing generated almost every second.

The stack seems ok, though

sh switch detail
Switch/Stack Mac Address : ec30.9159.c880
                                           H/W   Current
Switch#  Role   Mac Address     Priority Version  State
----------------------------------------------------------
1       Member 0021.a0ec.2980     15     1       Ready
*2       Master ec30.9159.c880     1      1       Ready

Stack Port Status             Neighbors
Switch#  Port 1     Port 2           Port 1   Port 2
--------------------------------------------------------
  1        Ok         Ok                2        2
  2        Ok         Ok                1        1

Why is this message beeing generated?

this issue could be because of lose stack wise cable at the back or a faulty one.

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Check out the following observation

The problem could be due to the following:
1)  The Gigastack cable is not properly connected.
2)  Bad Gigastack Cable.
3)  Bad Gigastack port on switch.

Recommended Action:
1)  Double check the connection of the Gigastack cable and port.
2)  Try a known working Gigastack cable.
3)  Reload the Switch.
4)  If the issue persists, it could be due to h/w failure.

Hope this will help

Regards

Ganesh.H

Hi,

we replaced one of the stack cable and the error message is gone. Thank you

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: