class VOICE

priority percent 8

set ip dscp ef

Class VIDEO

bandwidth percent 25

set ip dscp ef

class class-default

set ip precedence 0

The "bandwidth" command allows me to configure a minimum amount of bandwidth for the video.

If I wanted to specify a certain amount of bandwidth without going over, would this policy do what I am looking to do?:

policy-map P-QoS

class VOICE

priority 128

set ip dscp ef

Class VIDEO

police 385 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

set ip dscp ef

class class-default

set ip precedence 0

Also,

If I have the above policy and there is no congestion on the link, and there is no voice or video traffic, could the default traffic utilize the entire pipe?

10 Replies 10

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Richard,

Yes and Yes.

__

Edison.

Thanks edison,

Suppose there is just a small amount of voice traffic, but not utilizing the entire alloted amount of bandwidth in the policy,

and the default traffic is trying to utilize the entire pipe,

would the default traffic be allowed the entire pipe minus the voice percentage?

or would it be allowed the entire pipe minus only what the voice is using?

Same question for video, since this is policing and not priority queue

would the default traffic be allowed the entire pipe minus the voice percentage?

The default traffic potentially can use the entire pipe, if no voice traffic is transmitting at that time. If there is any voice traffic, this traffic can occupy up to 128kbps in priority mode - which means this type of service will be de-queued before any other type of service.

Same question for video, since this is policing and not priority queue

Video is treated like a normal type of traffic but with a policer which means, that type of traffic isn't allowed to take the entire pipe.

__

Edison.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"If I wanted to specify a certain amount of bandwidth without going over, would this policy do what I am looking to do?:"

Depends what you mean by "going over". Non-LLQ bandwidth statements provide a minimum, not a cap. To insure a class doesn't use too much bandwidth you need to police or shape within the class. (As you did in your second example, although policing video often isn't a good idea and you didn't provide a minimum amount of bandwidth in that example. BTW, also can be true for LLQ, since the implicit policer activates only when there's congestion.)

"If I have the above policy and there is no congestion on the link, and there is no voice or video traffic, could the default traffic utilize the entire pipe?"

Yes. For non-LLQ classes, unless shaped or policed, they can utilize otherwise unused bandwidth. BTW, on many platforms, I believe FQ within class-default can disrupt non-LLQ class bandwidth guarantees.

[edit]

PS:

BTW, since you're marking both VoIP and Video with EF, you could also define a second LLQ class.

e.g.

policy-map P-QoS

class VOICE

priority percent 8

set ip dscp ef

Class VIDEO

priority percent 25

set ip dscp ef

class class-default

set ip precedence 0

BTW, the implicit policers for LLQ is really to protect other traffic from some kind of "run away" LLQ traffic. Normally, you don't want LLQ traffic to be dropped by the policer. This also means, unless you really see the need to multiple LLQ class policers, and since there's only one LLQ queue, you can often combine them.

e.g.

policy-map P-QoS

class VOICE_n_VIDEO

priority percent 33

set ip dscp ef

class class-default

set ip precedence 0

Man,

I can always count on you guys, thanks for the great answers (you too Edison).

(I know I keep beating these things again and again)

My understanding on the policing was that if I did not specify a minimum that the value I have as the conform would be the min and max, so I have specified how much I want the video to use and no more ("going over" what I had specified using "bandwidth" in the VOICE class for example).

Is this not correct?

On both classes being "ef", this is across our MPLS link and the provider is only prioritizing "ef".

For me to get the most out of their policy, I was using "ef" for video and voice.

I was not sure if it would work very well, but I aksed around (here) and decided to try this and see what happens.

Also on seperating them with access-lists would allow me to change video to policing if the video priority queue causes voice quality issues, and if I had specified "bandwidth" I was thinking the video could run away if it was not capped off.

Also on seperating them with access-lists would allow me to change video to policing if the video priority queue causes voice quality issues, and if I had specified "bandwidth" I was thinking the video could run away if it was not capped off.

The Video traffic should come from trusted sources and those sources should be configured correctly to avoid bursty traffic. Same concept as VoIP, you have X VoIP Phones * X kbps = VoIP PQ amount.

I don't expect you are placing Video traffic from sources watching ESPN360 :) - those should go to the default queue.

__

Edison.

Hello Richard,

only one side note:

you are going to put both VoIP and Video on the same traffic class marking them as EF.

I think you should verify the contract with the service provider about the traffic volume they are willing to prioritize inbound and outbound your sites.

You probably have already checked this but I thought it could help to point out this aspect.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

"My understanding on the policing was that if I did not specify a minimum that the value I have as the conform would be the min and max, so I have specified how much I want the video to use and no more ("going over" what I had specified using "bandwidth" in the VOICE class for example).

Is this not correct?"

Not if I understand your question correctly. What I think you're describing could be accomplished as:

Class VIDEO

bandwidth 385

police 385000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

"Also on seperating them with access-lists would allow me to change video to policing if the video priority queue causes voice quality issues, and if I had specified "bandwidth" I was thinking the video could run away if it was not capped off."

Yes, that's fine, but as I noted in my prior post, that's also why you can define multiple LLQ classes.

Also, keep in mind, if the video is for real-time video, like video conferencing, you often want to treat it much like VoIP. If it's streaming video, all you need to normally do is insure it has sufficient average bandwidth, which often doesn't require LLQ.

Excellent, thatnks, I wondered about using the "bandwidth" with the policing.

I have some questions on the switching qos if you are up for it.

Might be best to pose them as a new question in the LAN and switching forum.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card