cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5540 kills SSH sessions through the firewall

Joshua Engels
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Unix user that SSH's from the inside network to a Server in the DMZ network. If he leaves it idle the SSH session is killed by the firewall. Is there a way to tell the ASA not to kill SSH sessions through the firewall that are idle?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

cisco24x7
Level 6
Level 6

There are two solutions to this:

1- increase the tcp idle connection on the ASA. The command is "timeout xxxx" or something like that. Check the documentation.

2- enable ssh keep-alive in SSH server itself. In the /etc/ssh/sshd_config configuration of the SSH server, uncomment this line:

#KeepAlive yes

then restart the ssh server. With option #2, you do not have to involve the Firewall guy.

Easy right?

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

cisco24x7
Level 6
Level 6

There are two solutions to this:

1- increase the tcp idle connection on the ASA. The command is "timeout xxxx" or something like that. Check the documentation.

2- enable ssh keep-alive in SSH server itself. In the /etc/ssh/sshd_config configuration of the SSH server, uncomment this line:

#KeepAlive yes

then restart the ssh server. With option #2, you do not have to involve the Firewall guy.

Easy right?

Okay, option 1 worked for us. Increased the "timeout conn 01:00:00" to 2 hours and it worked. That is what I was looking for so I appreciate the response.

Thanks!

Every SSH client has option to enable keep-alive, this will send nop command every so seconds and keep the connection alive.

In Linux ssh client machine put it here:

/etc/ssh/ssh_config

ServerAliveInterval

In Putty (Windows) you go to

Connection -> Sending of null packets to keep session alive -> put value in seconds

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card