cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrade ios of Cat6500

HWangLoyalty_2
Level 1
Level 1

We are planning to upgrade IOS of Cat6513 switch with Sup720 and MSFC3 in future. Because of the limitation of room,we use CF card to keep the original image right now. I also checked the topics of Cisco forum and Cisco documentations.If the image is only in the CF card, the system would get into Rommon mode when we reload Cat6500 because SP could not recognize disk0 or disk1. I have to copy the new image to sup-bootflash.Is it correct? But the sup-bootflash is only 64MB in our environment (I think it is reason we use CF card), how does it work? I would appreciate it if you could give me two cents about my puzzle.

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Huan,

boot system flash disk1:imagename

this should tell where to find the main IOS image.

on the sup-bootflash you should keep the boot loader image that is used to be able to read all file systems at startup.

This is a short description of the principles

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks Giuseppe!

But from Cisco website, in Supervisor Engine 720, after the Cisco IOS Software Release 12.2 SX there are no seperate image files such as a bootloader image and the main IOS image. The Supervisor Engine and the MSFC both run a single bundled Cisco IOS image.

Is it right? I just checked "dir sup-bootflash" on Cat6500, but i did not find out any file.

Thanks again.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card