cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

router loopback question.

glynncounty
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to set up a loopback interface on a remote router I have so I can take the link down and make changes on the remote end...

far end address is

10.48.1.2 255.255.255.0

ofcourse there is a route to it from my core...

I tried a loopback address 10.48.2.2 255.255.255.0

and get a confliction with my fastethernet? What am I doing wrong?

3 Replies 3

DAVID,

What's the ip address of fastethernet you mentioned?

Please do a "sh run int fx/x" command.

Toshi

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

David

Based on what you posted there should not be a conflict. Is it possible that the masks that you posted are not the same as the masks in the config? Or is it possible that there are several interfaces on the router?

Could you post the output of:

show interface | include address

from the remote router.

Also I am a little concerned about what you are trying to do. When you say that:"so I can take the link down and make changes on the remote end" it sounds like you expect the loopback interface to still be accessible when the link to the remote is down. The loopback will still have a status of up/up. But if the link to the router is taken down then neither the physical interface address nor the loopback address will be reachable.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

jeff.cook
Level 1
Level 1

Does the loopback address show up in the route table? If not you would be unable to access it.

Is the ip address in a subnet that exists somewhere? If so then the route would go to that router and not the one with the lookback.

I have always seen the loopback ip addresses with a 255.255.255.255 subnet. That way you are not wasting 255 addresses for each loopback.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card