cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Monitoring PRi's with snmp traps

srego4
Level 2
Level 2

I am looking to monitor when my pri's go down and generate a trap.

Is this the best way:

snmp-server enable traps isdn layer2

or are there some other traps that I can enable?

Thanks,

5 Replies 5

srego4
Level 2
Level 2

any ideas - anyone?

Hi,

I also have a client with the same requirement. I'm hoping somebody out there has the answer!

mmendonca
Level 1
Level 1

I'm interested in this trap also.  We have lot's of PRI all over country.  Have no idea when one goes down.  I've looked around the forum for this command haven't  found much.  My assumptions so far are that it sends a trap to the snmp host when a PRI changes it's L2 status:

#sho isdn status
Global ISDN Switchtype = primary-ni

%Q.931 is backhauled to CCM MANAGER 0x0003 on DSL 0. Layer 3 output may not apply

ISDN Serial0/0/0:23 interface
        dsl 0, interface ISDN Switchtype = primary-ni
        L2 Protocol = Q.921 0x0000  L3 Protocol(s) = CCM MANAGER 0x0003
    Layer 1 Status:
        ACTIVE
   Layer 2 Status:
        TEI = 0, Ces = 1, SAPI = 0, State = MULTIPLE_FRAME_ESTABLISHED
    Layer 3 Status:
        0 Active Layer 3 Call(s)
    Active dsl 0 CCBs = 0
    The Free Channel Mask:  0x807FFFFF
    Number of L2 Discards = 0, L2 Session ID = 10

That's all I'm really looking for.  Not looking to get status on each channel.

Found this in the SNMP command reference:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/ios/netmgmt/command/reference/nm_18.html#wp1014066

this is the explanation for snmp-server enable traps isdn layer2:

(Optional) Controls SNMP ISDN layer2 transition notifications

Once I got my SNMP host to accept the correct attribute and configure the event trap all I had to do was add the trap command to the router.  I then bounced one of my low usage PRI's (which had 0 calls on it ) and got the following event traps on the SNMP host: 

MinorMay 19, 2010 2:21:00 PM EDTA demandNbrLayer2Change notification has been received indicating that a D-channel on Rtr_Cisco device, named has layer 1 active but layer 2 not established. Interface Index = 83 Link Status = ISDNLinkInTransitionSystemMay 19, 2010 2:21:01 PM EDTSystem
MajorMay 19, 2010 2:20:59 PM EDTA demandNbrLayer2Change notification has been received indicating that a D-channel on Rtr_Cisco device, named has both layers 1 and 2 inactive. Interface Index = 83 Link Status = ISDNLinkDownSystemMay 19, 2010 2:21:00 PM EDTSystem

It doesn't tell you specifically which interface is down but at least it narrows it down to the gateway/router.  Most of our gateways have only one PRI anyway.

We use Spectrum One Click for network monitoring. 

Here is L2 back on line:

May 19, 2010 2:21:01 PM EDTA demandNbrLayer2Change notification has been received indicating that a D-channel on Rtr_Cisco device, named has layer 1 active and layer 2 established. Interface Index = 83 Link Status = ISDNLinkUpSystem

Do you happen to have the actual configuration you used?  I'm interested on this as well.

@mmendonca wrote:

Once I got my SNMP host to accept the correct attribute and configure the event trap all I had to do was add the trap command to the router.  I then bounced one of my low usage PRI's (which had 0 calls on it ) and got the following event traps on the SNMP host: 

Minor May 19, 2010 2:21:00 PM EDT   A demandNbrLayer2Change notification has been received indicating that a D-channel on Rtr_Cisco device, named has layer 1 active but layer 2 not established. Interface Index = 83 Link Status = ISDNLinkInTransition System May 19, 2010 2:21:01 PM EDT System
Major May 19, 2010 2:20:59 PM EDT   A demandNbrLayer2Change notification has been received indicating that a D-channel on Rtr_Cisco device, named has both layers 1 and 2 inactive. Interface Index = 83 Link Status = ISDNLinkDown System May 19, 2010 2:21:00 PM EDT System

It doesn't tell you specifically which interface is down but at least it narrows it down to the gateway/router.  Most of our gateways have only one PRI anyway.

We use Spectrum One Click for network monitoring. 

Here is L2 back on line:

May 19, 2010 2:21:01 PM EDT   A demandNbrLayer2Change notification has been received indicating that a D-channel on Rtr_Cisco device, named has layer 1 active and layer 2 established. Interface Index = 83 Link Status = ISDNLinkUp System    

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: