cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade Firmware on Router

jeff.cook
Level 1
Level 1

I have 24 routers I need to upgrade the firmware on. They all use the CF card for the firmware and of course there is not enough space for 2 images on the card. I see a few ways to do this, but was wondering how you handle this task.

A) SSH to router delete exiting image file. Upload new image file reboot. Drive to site if there is an issue.

B) Drive to site, replace CF card with a card containing the new image.

I'm not excited about these 2 options.

What am I missing?

Thank You

6 Replies 6

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Option 1 is the one that I use, but I recommend leaving the first image (if you have the space) and uploading the second image. In the running config on the router, put in the line "boot system flash:". Write the changes and reboot. It will load up the new file, but leave the old file there for backup in case you want to revert your changes.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

I would love to, but all of the routers have the smallest card the image will fit on, so there is no way to have both images.

This is what concerns me.

greg.washburn
Level 1
Level 1

Or you could create the new CF card and mail / courier to someone at the site to replace. Ask them to call you when the physical change is complete. Verify - if good then have them mail the old card back or destroy it.

Doesn't take a lot of tech experience to pull a card and put in another one.

I would rather take the time to diagram it and send it out and spend a few minutes on the phone than drive all over the country (or even the potential of that).

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Another variation of your option A. Pre-send CF (or perhaps USB). Have someone at site who can insert CF (or USB) only if there's an issue with a remote format, remote flash load and reboot. (I.e. in other words, someone at the site only needs to touch the device if there's a problem, but it might save you from making the trip if there is an issue.)

PS:

My experience has been remote IOS updates usually don't have issues, but occasionally they do. You just need to be prepared for the latter.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If the lines going into the sites are generally stable I have never had an issue deleting the existing image and putting a new one on . You really only have 2 options .

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you have the latest generation of routers (1800, 2800, 3800, 7200 w/NPE G2), would you consider using USB?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card