Automated Extension Mobility Activation from a Webpage?

Unanswered Question
Apr 14th, 2009

Hello,

I'm brand new to Cisco IP phones so please bear with me. We're using the 7941 phones and Call Manager Express. I've been tasked with developing a website for our company that will allow users to click on graphic that represents where they will be hotelling for the day and to have it then prompt for who they are. Upon submitting, they'd like it to automatically route that individual's extension to the phone in their desired work area.

From what I've been reading, I can see that it's possible to pull XML objects to the phone but I'm not sure if that's what I need. Also, from what I'm seeing, it appears that when users use the extension mobility feature from the phone itself that it contacts the Call Manager server's authenticate.asp script.

So with this in mind, is it possible to target the authenticate.asp script on the Call Manager server and pass it variables that will force it to activate a particular phone with the information specified?

Any help is appreciated!!

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
stephan.steiner Thu, 04/16/2009 - 00:36

You seem to use CME and CallManager intermittently.. which system is it? Call Manager has an extension mobility API (details under developer.cisco.com) which can do exactly what you need.

CME does not have that API, but if you have a high enough version, still supports extension mobility. So if it is CME, sniff out what the phone is doing (it calls some xml pages with appropriate parameters), then duplicate that behavior in your own application.. so your webapp would show the user a menu, then do a http get on the page that is normally called by the phone with the user's credentials, parses the response and shows the user whether the operation was successful or not.

compsatdrew Thu, 04/16/2009 - 04:56

We have CallManagerExpress, sorry for the confusion. We're planning on setting up the sniffer today to see what exactly the phone is doing when it pulls down its identity from CME.

What we're thinking is that we will have a system setup in a kiosk where the hotelling employees will visit each morning to register their work area and phone. If we setup the system to have a table of SEP numbers, IPs, etc... we can have the users punch in their names and passwords and the system will attach to the CME and appear as if they're attaching from their phone, hopefully spoofing the CME and causing it to push the info to the desired phone.

Does that sound plausible?

m_mudassir_saeed Thu, 04/16/2009 - 01:26

Hello Dear,

I have developed a solution to automate Extension Mobility with computers when users log-in/out computers so does IP Phones automatically, but it does WITHOUT USING EM API, please drop me an email if you need the source code.

Please note that all the applications and source codes I provide here in the forums should be used as reference and sample application and should not be assumed finalised products.

Thanks & Regards,

M. Mudassir Saeed

compsatdrew Thu, 04/16/2009 - 04:58

M. Mudassir Saeed,

Thanks for your reply. I'm very interested in the code that you speak of. For some reason, the Cisco website isn't letting me bring up your profile so I can't seem to locate your e-mail. Can you please e-mail me at the following address?

dfisher compsat com

Thanks!

m_mudassir_saeed Thu, 04/16/2009 - 05:44

Hi Drew,

I have sent source code to the address you mentioned above, please let me know when you get it.

Thanks & Regards,

M. Mudassir Saeed

Actions

This Discussion