Views
Helpful
Replies

What STP protocol to use?

darren-carr
Level 2
Level 2

Guys

I have recently taken over the management of a small LAN made up of 13 switches 10 Cisco and 2 Nortel switches.

The network is made up of a stack of 3750E-48 Port switches (x4), 3560E-48 Port (x2), 2960G-48 (x3), 3550E-48 (x1)and 2912XL-12 (x1).I also have a IBM blade chassis with a Nortel Layer 2/3 switch installed.

I have been looking at the Layer 2 config and most of it has been out the box installation the root bridge was the old 2912XL-12!! this has since been changed.

The Nortel switches do support RSTP and PVSTP... im just unsure which one to use? I am also unsure about where to deploy additional functionality such as BACKBONEFAST and UPLINKFAST.

The core of the network is the stack (3750 x 4) at the access layer I have trunks configured on the 2960's and 3560e (2Gbps) to the stack (core) and from the Nortel I also have trunks. Attached to the core are most of my servers, attached to the nortel are the blade servers and attached to most of the 2960Gs and 3560's are PC/Hosts.

Given the above which I know is vague what would people recommend I deploy in the environment with regards to the protocol and the use of UPLINKFAST and BACKBONEFAST, etc?

Thanks Darren

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

np - glad to help.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

Darren,

Let me simplyfy your answers:-

PVSTP - natively out of the box required UplinkFast & BackboneFast to be specifically configured where required.

BackboneFast and UplinkFast are a cisco propriatery - in 802.1D

RSTP - ALL the above are enabled by default, as they are built in to the RSTP process, and RSTP is backward compatible with 802.1d. RSTP is an EEE standard.

To meet your requirements - RSTP is the solution.

HTH>

Andrew

Thanks for the prompt response..very simple but very helpful and saves me a lot of time...

Much appreciated

Darren

np - glad to help.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card