Views
Helpful
Replies

ospf v/s eigrp

prajithtr_2
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

could any one explain me about the differences and advantages of these routing protocol over each other.how can we select them effectively in big networks with more than one ASs

6 Replies 6

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

Hi:

Volumes can be written about this and only after someone has intimate knowledge of the requirements of your network.

For very large networks, over 500 nodes, I would probably go with OSPF. It allows you to segment the network into areas and control the propagation of routes more effectively than eigrp. It is also an open standard, and that is a plus.

HTH

Victor

Why rating an 1 to a perfectly correct and reasonable answer ? I've re-rated to compensate.

If you can't be fair, avoid rating at all.

Thanks, Paolo.

Victor

I am sorry.Your answer was very correct .But I was searching for slight explained answer thats why rated 1 and also this is my first time.

Prajit:

I understand. Sometimes we come to this board in need of some help, but we dont always get exactly what we want in terms of detail or understanding. So it can become frustrating. :-)

The answer I gave you was the best I could, given the information we had to go on, which was almost nothing. So, I could only speak in generalizations.

Others made some good points, too, so I think you should be better off than you were before.

Thanks

Victor

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Prajit,

>> how can we select them effectively in big networks with more than one ASs

one of the reasons for using BGP confederations an multiple mini-ASes (private ASes) is to be free to use multiple IGP domains.

A typical deployment scenario can use a different IGP domain within a single mini-AS with 1 to 1 relationship.

Said this, considering that if you are going to use MPLS, and you would like to leave open a chance to use MPLS Traffic engineering using OSPF or IS-IS are the only viable options.

EIGRP can support basic MPLS but misses all TE extensions.

As Victor correctly noted OSPF is also a standard protocol that makes your network multi-vendor ready.

If you add also the fact that an EIGRP AS domain border doesn't block the propagation of EIGRP queries originated in AS1 that can leak in AS2.

So I add my vote for OSPF may be deployed in multiple not communicating domains, with only eBGP confederation sessions to make communication between mini ASes.

hint: use different Area numbers to avoid unwanted OSPF neighborships to form at borders.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: