cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

line password encryption types

jabercromby
Level 1
Level 1

I have been pouring over the ip command lookup tool and the various mainline command refs to see if you can someone specifiy md5 encryption on line console and/or vty passwords but all I come up with is 7? I do know that you can specify type 5 encryption on local user accounts. Does anyone know if it plausible to conf. type 5 encyption on vty/con 0 password strings?

Respectfully,

Jim Abercromby

1 Reply 1

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you're using the password command on the line, you won't be able to do anything other than service password encryption. If you need md5, your best bet is to use local accounts and aaa authentication:

new aaa-model

aaa authentication local default local

username routertest priv 15 secret testpassword

line vty 0 4

login authentication local

This will allow you to have md5 encrypted passwords, and you won't have to do anything special on the line (other than what I put up there).

Anytime you're doing aaa configuration, be sure to be logged in one window and test in another. It's very possible to lock yourself out of a router.

As far as configuring the password command as md5 directly on the line, I don't believe it's possible.

You can also try:

Router(config)# key config-key password-encrypt testpassword

Router(config)# password aes

The above encrypts isakmp passwords, but I can't remember if it affects all of the passwords that match whatever your "password-encrypt" line is.

Here's a doc:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk583/tk372/technologies_configuration_example09186a00801f2336.shtml

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card