Self registered guests on WLAN

Unanswered Question
Apr 15th, 2009

I'm attempting to get several slightly different types of public access web configured on a Cisco WLC 4404.

the first type is a pre-registration service, whereby the user needs to go to reception or some other designated staff, who configures a user on the WLC for them to log on with. The WLC can do this out of the box without much config and I've got this all working.

the second is the one I'm having trouble with. I want guests to be able to log on without visiting anyone first (they'll be limited to filtered web browsing only - no VPNs and whatnot). The user would need to go to a splash screen, read an AUP, enter email address, some personal info and choose a password. from that point on they can use the service at will. there'd be no real checks made on the information, i.e. that the email was a valid one.

I currently have this setup working with a nocat service running on a gateway server and need to pipe a network over to an autonomous AP whenever i need to put this out.

Can the WLC do this job on it's own? Places like hotels do a similar thing when you get on the wifi and are prompted for your card info - although I just want info for logging purposes - not billing.

any help or info about similar setups would be great.

Thanks

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
gamccall Wed, 04/15/2009 - 08:37

The same web-auth screens where you set up the lobby ambassador/ guest logon configuration, can be set to a "passthrough" mode instead. One of the options in a passthrough setup is an email address entry box, but I've never found where (or even if) those emails are stored. You could consider pointing the passthrough page at an external web server and having the forms saved there.

As I recall, though, a single controller can only have one instance of web logon settings configured, so you wouldn't be able to run both systems on the same controller.

LCC-IT Thu, 04/16/2009 - 01:43

i think this may solve my problem. It looks like the WLC just passes the entered email address into the logs. If I can edit this page - and I can't see why not, then I should be able to request name, location and whatever else I need. I don't think this service actually requires a proper login.

thanks,

richard-hughes Thu, 06/11/2009 - 05:48

Did you have any luck modifying the passthru page to capture additional information?

Scott Fella Wed, 04/15/2009 - 17:54

The only self registration that Cisco has is if you use a NAC Guest Server. It is an expensive solution though. The WLC will not allow a guest to create his or her own login. Like the other post stated, you can point the webauth to an external server.... this way you can customize what you want to log. Not a web guy, but I had one of my clients do this for a mailing list.

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics - Security & Network