cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring Jumbo Frames on Catalyst 2960G-24TC-L ?

pavanbabut
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to enable Jumbo frames support on all GigE interfaces, while all my peers are having GigE NICs except one peer port and one uplink (which are FE). I tried to configure from CLI using-

system mtu 1998

system mtu jumbo 9000

and then when I run show system mtu it shows me

system MTU size is 1998 bytes

system Jumbo MTU size is 9000 bytes

Routing MTU size is 1500 bytes

but on the peers systems some NIC cards have Jumbo packet settings while some dont, while on the ones were I can set it, they have the option of 9014. They also suggest to set the switch size to four bytes higher for CRC, plus four bytes if using VLANs or QOS(which I am not). But the switch max size that I can set is 9000.

So, I am wondering how I can configure the switch for that common jumbo size of NICs. Also is there any effect on chaging the routing MTU size when changing system MTU size??

thanks

1 Reply 1

pavanbabut
Level 1
Level 1

I tried using 9014 on NICs while using 9000 on catalyst and routing MTU size as 1998 and normal MTU as 1998.

My bandwidth usage went from 33% to 40% on the systems. Seems like it has some improvement over normal 1998.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: