cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Spectralink and Vocera not associating to 1142n

ericwoodin
Level 1
Level 1

I have been demoing one of the 1142n radios and have come up with a few problems. I can't seem to figure out why our Vocera badges and Spectralink handsets aren't able to associate to the AP. The Vocera badge is a B2000 and the Spectralink handset is an i640. I've compared settings from one controller to another, and other than different versions, they are exactly the same. The main controllers have 5.1.151.0 and my test controller had the new 5.2.178.0 version. Any ideas?

10 Replies 10

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Are you able to get other devices associated to the 1142?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Yes, I've gotten laptops and PDAs working on the same SSIDs. I can take the same Vocera badges and Spectralink phones to another area on our older 1242 a/b/g radios with all the same SSIDs and they work fine. I've contacted Vocera and they do not recommend using Cisco 1142n radios. The Vocera badges do work with our Aruba 802.11n radios though.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have you tried going through this documentatin:

Vocera IP Phone Deployment in Cisco Unified Wireless Network Infrastructure

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080766d54.shtml

Voice over WLAN Vocera Implementation

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Mobility/vowlan/41dg/vowlan_ch11.html

We followed both of those documents for a dense voice grade wireless network with our existing 1242 and 1230 APs. I moved one of our working 1242 a/b/g radios over to the same test controller that has the 1142n radios and the Vocera badges connected fine. I've tripled checked all the switchport, controller, and AP settings and compared them to the working 1242 and they are the same.

I know this defeats the whole point, but have you tried disabling all of the 802.11n features (including the multiple radios/antennas)? This isn't a very scientific approach (checking out the logs as recommended earlier is the best approach), but I'm struggling to look for the differences.

I dumbed down both of our demo APs with only the b/g working on two antenna and Vocera still would not associate. I got the Spectralink working though on a different WLAN.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Eric,

This is news to me. So let me get what you are saying ...

Vocera badges and Spectralink handset is able to join 1230/1240 LAP's but when they won't be able to join 1140? How about the 1250?

In the 1140, what error messages do you see when the clients try to join?

Have seen the same with Vocera and the 1250 running 4.2.176. Vocera works fine on the 1242 and fails to associate to the 1250. Both AP are on the same controller and all other devices work ok. HT mode (11N) is on for A and off for B. We opened a TAC case but I'm not sure of the latest status. I'll ask one of my guys and report back.

Do me a favor. First, put the controllers on the same version of code. You may be running into a CAPWAP/LWAPP conflict issue. CAPWAP uses a different method of encryption for the control data (dtls) than the LWAPP control (AES). Having said this I'm not sure how the QoS markings and security encryption for the devices would then react when coming into the network from two different encrypted tunnels. 5.1 is lwapp and 5.2 is capwap.

I just upgraded both controller to the newest version of code 5.2.178.0. We still cannot get the Vocera bage to associate. The Spectralink phone associated on a different WLAN.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: