cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Increase nvram memory

Mie1am900
Level 1
Level 1

I need know how i could increase the nvram memory?. because i have an cisco Access Point with only 32k in nvram and i can't load a file configuration since a WLC , The size of file is more than 32k

7 Replies 7

gamccall
Level 4
Level 4

What model AP and what code version are you trying to load on it?

You can't upgrade the NVRAM on an AP, but you should be able to load any version of code on any AP which supports it... with a few workarounds in some cases.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Let me get this straight ... You have an AP, an LWAP in fact, and you want to copy the config from the WLC to the LWAP?

Why would you want to do that?

Do you know that even if you have the right NVRAM size, it won't work?

Hi!

Sorry! i made a mistake. the configuration file is loaded from a WLSE not WLC,

the Access Points are autonomous and the MAC updates are made from WLSE

This is the reason that I would like to increase the nvram size

MAC updates? Are you trying to load a 32K MAC filter ACL onto your AP? No, that's not going to work.

Instead, use a RADIUS server.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

May I ask what are you trying to load into your AP that requires an oversized NVRAM?

Besides, once the AP has associated to the WLC, there are very limited commands available. One of them, "copy", is disabled.

So even if you happen to find a way to increase your NVRAM, you now come to a problem of moving it across to the AP.

I have no idea what you are doing, hence we are all asking you for further information, but this sure defeats the purpose of the WLC.

I agree with Gabriel, use a radius server for mac-auth if you have that many in the first place. You can't upgrade the nvram on the ap so your only bet is either to not use mac-auth or use a radius server. Since mac-auth is so easy to spoof, why would you want to have to manage soo many mac addresses?

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Well, I will use a radius server.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: