cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

another unity question

jjoseph01
Level 3
Level 3

Hi again all. Im working to get Unity upgraded and put on a separate server. Ive installed the OS on the server and Im ready to install the old version of Unity onto the new server, so that I can do a DIRT restore, then upgrade. Im under the assumption that I have to have already put the server on the domain, so that it can re-create the accounts in AD, and do the DIRT restore while its on the network. Is that right? Then, in the same way, the upgrade has to be on the network so that it can recreate those accounts again, find exchange, etc. Correct? Best to do on a weekend?

4 Replies 4

bigcappa1
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

The issue with DiRT is that it takes an exact image so everything has to be identical on the new server. Have you tried using COBRA if you are doing an upgrade, means you can take a copy of the config and then import it into the new version. It does have its limitations also as not all config is copied but that depends on how it is set up.

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/COBRAS/Help/COBRAS.htm#_Toc226357059

Shows the differences.

I have used it to upgrade from 4.2 to 5 and there were no issues I recall.

Thanks

Paul

Never used Cobra before. Looks interesting. I think I have decided that I have a confidence issue, and that I just need to do what I think needs to be done, without worrying if Im going to make a mistake or not. Seems like I know what the right answer is, because Ive done similar things like this, but dont always trust my own judgement. I think Im going to have to start trusting some of my instincts. Thanks.

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

DIRT will re-create the accounts if they are not in the new domain you create or attached to. (also Exchange mailboxes) The trick is that if your Alias in Exchange are the same, it will link it all together.

Assuming this is VM only?

Yeah, this is with Exchange also. Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: