NSS2000 - Data transfer speeds over gigabit ethernet

Unanswered Question
Apr 15th, 2009
User Badges:
I've just installed a NSS2000 on a gigabit network.  I'm aware that some of the promised features (like support for jumbo frames) are not currently supported by the current firmware (version 1.13).

However, even without jumbo frames, I'm puzzled of why I am seeing data transfer speeds of only 50megabits per second, or about 5% utilization of the 1000Mb/s connection.  I was expecting at least 20% utilization.
lan_util.bmp
Is this another limitation of the current firmware version, or is there a setting somewhere on the NSS2000 which I need to to tweak to increase data transfer speeds?

More background - it is the only significant traffic on the network during test, the ethernet controller driver on my PC is the latest available, and the NSS reports that it is connected at 1000MB/sec.  The unit has two 1.5Tb SATA drives in it, which are configuered as RAID1.

Also - does anyone know when the next firmware version is going to be available, and which of the current known issues it is likely to address?

thanks
Graham
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
grahamdeath Fri, 04/17/2009 - 01:33
User Badges:

I should mention that the volume I am writing to is encrypted - is the answer simply that this is the fastest that the onboard CPU can decrypt the content?

An experiment to an unencrypted volume increased the LAN utilization to around 10% - so an improvement, but still not as high as I had hoped.

thanks

Graham

picaditto Wed, 12/30/2009 - 04:12
User Badges:

hello,

you must put your nss without raid 1 and unencrypte the volume to increase the nas network speed. all the safety measures you take in the nas are great, but they affect the network performance.

regards

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content