cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

stacking 2975 switches

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all, If I simply plug in my stack cables to my switches, will they work as one stack without any config?

also what is the minimal config i need to put on for stacking,how would I assign an IP to the stack ?

7 Replies 7

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

The switches are stacked physically and configured logically as one switch.

You configure the stack like another normal switch, all switches should be the same ios version.

When connecting switches to a stack they will find each other.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Carl,

Configure the stack master like the way you configure any switch. Regarding the stack, it behaves just like a 3750.

what commands do I need to know for the stacking then? how do I know which is master, and how do I force one to be master?

if I replace or add a switch, will it automatically add it ?

what commands do I need to know for the stacking then? - none really

how do I know which is master - show switch, highest priority is master switch

how do I force one to be master - change switch priority - switch # priority in config mode

if I replace or add a switch, will it automatically add it - yes

Hi,how would I know which switch is which, when I do show switch, would it show the serial numbers and stack number? also will any lights come on at the front of the switch ?

If you have configured each switch prior to stacking - an example output would look like:-

#show switch

Switch/Stack Mac Address : 0022.5635.1600

H/W Current

Switch# Role Mac Address Priority Version State

----------------------------------------------------------

*1 Master 0022.5635.1600 15 0 Ready

2 Member 0022.5650.6e00 10 0 Ready

3 Member 0022.5656.4c00 5 0 Ready

From the front of the switches you toggle the "mode" button down to the "Stack" mode and each switch will blink there number in the stack from the firat 1-9 ethernet ports.

The master switch will blink port 1 - the second switch will blink port 2 etc.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco