cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problems with guest access radius/local accounts?

f-persson
Level 1
Level 1

I have a setup running with 2 2100 controllers. I want to authenticate guest users either using Radius if they exists there, and if not using a guest account set up from WCS.

It's working if I create a local net user from the controller, but not if I create the guest account from the WCS. The account created from the wcs shows up in the controller under local net users, but if I try to login I get this message in the controller:

AAA Authentication Failure for UserName:test User Type: WLAN USER

So it's trying with radius. But what is the difference from creating a guest user directly on the controller. Is this a bug? I'm running 5.2.178.0 on the controller and WCS 5.2.130.0.

2 Replies 2

smalkeric
Level 6
Level 6

The way I understand is there is no difference in the guest accounts created through WCS and WLC. If you are creating the users locally on the controllers, you need to repeat the procedure by logging into each controller. This can be a time consuming task. Instead, you can create the guest accounts on the WCS and push them to the controllers at one go.

You may want to delete the guest accounts on the WLC and WCS and try to reconfigure the guest accounts on the WCS and push them to the controllers and check if you are seeeing this issue. Because if the configs are correct and the user is providing the correct username / password the setup should work.

I have been doing some more testing on this, and it seems to be a bug in 5.2.xx releases. I downgraded the wlc to 4.2 and 5.1 releases, and then everything is working fine. The problem is that we have 1142n ap's, and those require 5.2 software. So I have opened a tac case with cisco to see if they have a sloution to this.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card