cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can not sync archive on ASA5510

stephenscott
Level 1
Level 1

I have an ASA5510 that I am having trouble syncing the archive. When I look at the difference between the configs, there seems to be no difference. What would cause the archive to not sync?

(Startup)

SNMP

snmp-server community ********

(Running)

SNMP

snmp-server community ********

6 Replies 6

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Do you mean that Sync Archive jobs are failing for this device, or RME is constantly showing the startup and running configurations as being out of sync? If the latter, and if RME thinks the community strings are out of sync, check the values to make sure they are the same. If the former, what errors do you get trying to sync the archive?

Hi Joe,

On the RME home screen under "Config Archive" the same device is always out of sync. When I look at the difference between the configs using the diff only function is shows up exactly as I indicated in the previous post...all asterisks. When I log into the device, viewing the startup config I can see the actual community name next to "snmp-server community", while viewing the running config, there are asterisks for "snmp-server community"

Startup:

snmp-server community l*****R (I put the asterisks are to hide actual string)

Running:

snmp-server community ******* (asterisks actually showing up in the config)

When I view the diff between the config in RME, see the attachment as to what I am seeing.

Thanks for the help.

Ah. What version of code is running on this ASA?

Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Software Version 8.0(4)16

You're seeing the product of CSCsu90370. This bug requested that SNMP community strings in show run be masked on the ASA/PIX. The bug was fixed in 8.0(4.8).

Since the ASA is no longer providing the clear text SNMP community in the running config, RME has no way to know if its value is in sync with the startup config, and thus the out of sync entry is expected.

Given this, you might consider adding an exclude for this command under RME > Admin > Config Mgmt > Exclude Commands.

Thanks Joe. I have excluded snmp-server and the sync is successful.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: