cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

known Caller-ID conversion

Ronald_hk
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to display a name instead of a number for incoming caller-id's?

for example, all users with mobile phones used in the company will display when the call to the UC500

We use the simple 521 phones

14 Replies 14

This is possible. Take a look at the "service dnis dir-lookup" command, on:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/command/reference/cme_s1ht.html#wp1017505

Thanks,

Marcos Hernandez
Technical Marketing Engineer
Cisco Systems, Inc.

telephony-service

service dnis dir-lookup

directory entry 1 610123497 name Ronald

directory entry 2 610123654 name Wim

directory entry 3 610127893 name Mark

=========================================

Will this do or do i need to connect them to a ephone-dn?

In re-reading your post I realize you meant calling name (for caller id) not called number. I apologize for the confusion. For calling name, the IP phone will display whatever the PSTN provider offers, and we have no way to overwrite it. Again, apologies for the confusion.

Thanks,

Marcos Hernandez
Technical Marketing Engineer
Cisco Systems, Inc.

Marcos,

Does this mean there's no way to match an entry in the local directory with the number the PSTN provider passes to UC500?

for example local/corporate directory has GIBESON MOB - 90199212345

PSTN provider sends 1992212345

(I know there are posts on site which get round adding leading 0, and adding 9 to missed calls!)

Thanks

GSGIBLESON

Yes, that's what it means.

Thanks a lot,

Marcos

Marco,

thanks for the response, surely this is a feature/functionality everyone is after???

is there a 3rd party tool to do this?

We have had some requests in the past, but there are no plans to change this behavior.

Thanks a lot,

Marcos

Marco, thanks again.

Do you know if there is a 3rd party product that allows this? or a SDK for the UC500 that allows this?

Hi There,

Do you know if there is a 3rd party product that allows this? or a SDK for the UC500 that allows this?

I will stand corrected if i am wrong, but i am certain Unified Call Connector does this or can do this, so long as the number is in your address/contacts list it should be able to convert that to who is calling you.

The other way which i am currently researching to see if this is a possability is to use XML for this and run a corporate directory and then try and get the system to look it up via the XML, i have heard of people doing this with other phone systems using Cisco Phones, so i want to try and take a walk on the wild side :)

If i canmanage to successfully do it, then i would be willing to share my findings with the community.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

UCC does do this in the form of a popup on the PC screen.  It does not modify the display on the phone at all.

Cheers,

Dave.

I've seen an application used on full blown Call Manager called "Call Tracer"

This presents a different display on the Cisco IP Phone! but i'm not aware if this works with CME or the UC500!

So in a nutshell, there's nothing natively in the CME or the UC500 that displays the name of a person calling based on the directory for external entries!  (I believe Marco confirmed this earlier!)

To everyone's best knowledge, Cisco call connector would be the way forward! but the display on the phone will still only display the telco's CLI!

David Trad - if you find a way, or 3rd party that does modify the display on the phone, i would appreciate your findings! as i can see the pitful with call connector is that if you have meeting room phones without a PC present, the phone display is the only thing your have to go by!

Marcus

gondange1
Level 1
Level 1

The answer is here : number2name http://pbevila.fastmail.fm/public/

works very well !

I am also surprised that the UC500 does not support the feature as many competitors system are doing it with their integrated directory.

Stephane

Just remember (and forgive the legalese) that custom scripts (including TCL scripts) are not supported by TAC.

Thanks,

Marcos

luklambe
Level 1
Level 1

Can you try just putting a local directory-entry in with a PSTN number.

The directory entry is not really meant to work or be used in this way but I have some unconfirmed reports that it might work.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/command/reference/cme_d1ht.html#wp1043857

Test it out and let us know the results please.

Thanks
Luke

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: