Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless VLAN Clarification on 877w

shaw.chris
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm looking to set up VLANs on a Cisco 877w (Base Image), AFAIK this should support 10 Wireless VLANs and 2 Wired VLANS

I have set up the Native VLAN as a Bridge and incorporates 3 of the switchports and the DOT11Radio0.1 Interface and works fine.

I have also set up Wireless interface Dot11Radio0.20 and this works too

My question is... do I need to add this VLAN20 to the VLAN database beforehand when it is a Wireless VLAN? as it seems to work OK without doing this.

i.e. conf t, vlan 20

Problem is if I do this and add the VLAN20 then I hit the limit and can't add my remaining wired VLAN30 that I wish to use for a Switchport Interface (get the message "Vlan can not be added. Maximum number of 2 vlan(s) in the database")

Also I have read the second VLAN needs to be a DMZ? is this correct? is so what limitations do I have when using this VLAN?

Many Thanks,

Chris

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

" do I need to add this VLAN20 to the VLAN database beforehand when it is a Wireless VLAN? as it seems to work OK without doing this." < ---

Hi Chris,

Depends on the version of your IOS. With older version of IOS, yes. Just to make sure, after you create the VLAN Interface, it pays just to do a "sh vlan".

"AFAIK this should support 10 Wireless VLANs and 2 Wired VLANS" < --- It should support more than 5 wired VLANs ... I think.

Thanks, when I do "sh vlans" it just shows the two Wireless VLans

Dot11Radio0.1

Dot11Radio0.20

When I do "sh vlan-switch" the VLAN20 does not appear but the VLAN30 does

I am running the latest IOS 12.4(24)T

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card