Helpful
Replies

Configuring QoS on 2811

cisco.balch
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco 2811

Version 12.4(3g)

I have a Cisco 2811 connected via T1 to an MPLS Network.

I have an issue where a data replication between job between two SANS which sends traffic over the MPLS connection is swamping the connection and causing issues with voice traffic.

What I would like to do to consider the bandwidth of the MPLS circuit as a pool and give certain applications access to guaranteed percentages of that when they need them.

So Voice might be guaranteed 30% and Video 30% with everything else using whatever bandwidth is available but always being given a lower priority than voice and video.

For the san replication traffic I would like to give it a very low priority - so all voice video and general traffic would rank above it for access to the bandwidth but it could use 100% of the bandwidth when all other applications were idle (at night & weekends).

I can define the different types of traffic by IP address:

10.20.0.0 255.255.0.0 is voice

10.30.0.0 255.255.0.0 is video

10.40.0.0 255.255.0.0 is general traffic (PC's etc)

10.200.60.0 255.255.255.0 is the SAN which replicates.

Any suggestions would be great.

2 Replies 2

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

First things first. Does your MPLS provider honor QoS? If yes, do they look at CoS or DSCP? What queues limits have you purchased?

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Does your MPLS network have just two end-points or are there multiple connections to MPLS cloud and anywhere-to-anywhere traffic is possible? If the latter, you'll want to implement QoS based on what the MPLS vendor provides. If the former (one p-2-p), you can easily configure QoS on a 2811 to do want you want using CBWFQ.

PS:

Is the video real-time like video conferencing or streaming video?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card