Views
Helpful
Replies

UC500 email notification setup

TY08
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Tech,

How do you guys setup the email notification working? I want to be able to setup the voicemail that will go directly to users' inbox, but I don't want to setup additional IMAP server.  I have enabled the notification message setting, and I put the user's email address. But when someone leaves VM it doesn't go to the email.

Thank you guys.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

There are free SMTP relay servers out there, but I am not sure that you need one.  It depends on what your ISP allows through their network.  Some try to prevent spam emails by blocking traffic that doesn't go to their SMTP relay servers.  You don't need an SMTP relay server for this to work.  You do need an SMTP connection that doesn't require authentication to be the SMTP server your CUE is pointed to.

You could try telnet on port 25 to see if you can establish a connection with your mail server.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Steven Smith
Level 7
Level 7

To do this, you need to enable message notification system wide.  You need to enable message notification on the user.  On the message notification, you will want to attach the VM message.  You need to have the user email address configured under notification, and you need to setup a SMTP server config on the box.  If you are still not getting messages, you might want to look at your mail server to make sure that it isn't blocking the messages.

Also, IMAP is actually pretty easy.  The CUE acts as the IMAP server.  By default, there should be an IMAP group that has integrated messing permissions.  Make sure your users are a member of that group.  After that, you simply need to have the clients add an IMAP account.  When they do that, the username and password are the same username and password on the CUE.  The IMAP server is 10.1.10.1 (by default).  Outgoing server SMTP server and email address are only important if the user will forward the emails off to different people.  There are other complications there, like the username and password would need to be the same on both systems.

Hope that helps.

I don't want to use IMAP setting.

I have setup smtp server with no authentication, and from the CUE I can ping to the outside world. I use my ISP smtp mail address.

any suggestions?

I would to see if the messaging is getting outside the UC500 with a sniffer.  If you are using your ISP smtp relay server, they might require authentication.  Can you try pointing it directly at your email server?

okay, that might be the case. is there a free smtp relay i can use?

so basically in order for me to relay the voicemail message to email i need to use the smtp relay server, am i right?

There are free SMTP relay servers out there, but I am not sure that you need one.  It depends on what your ISP allows through their network.  Some try to prevent spam emails by blocking traffic that doesn't go to their SMTP relay servers.  You don't need an SMTP relay server for this to work.  You do need an SMTP connection that doesn't require authentication to be the SMTP server your CUE is pointed to.

You could try telnet on port 25 to see if you can establish a connection with your mail server.

keegan
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know if it's possible to send the notification (using SMTP) to multiple email addresses?

i don't think we can do that and i haven't tried myself. you send it to group email rather than invidual email.

Correct - you cannot setup multiple email addresses for message notification from one user but you could send emails to a group or a mailer which would then broadcast to multiple email addresses. One workaround maybe to have one email address added as a Text Pager notification device

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: