cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Enhanced PoE support for existing line cards

rakbar
Level 1
Level 1

I have a situation where I'd like to run aironet 1252's with dual radios that require 18.x W per port. I understand that Enhanced PoE will support up to 20 and am at the software rev on my 6500 that supports it. However still no go. any ideas

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Unfortunately, only the Sup720 will allow enhanced PoE (ePoE) for up to 20.0 watts. The bad news is that the IOS is yet-to-be released.

Is your 1250 associated to a WLC? If no, then you can operate the 1250 at 15.4 watts if you use a power injector/power brick or remove one of the radio modules.

If you have a WLC, run the latest 5.2.X code and it will allow the 1250 to operate with both radio modules enabled BUT on a limited transmit power.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks, Is there somewhere that definitively states the info relating the 5.2.x code on the WLC?

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Here is a screen shot from a Cisco preso. You set the inline power to 20W, but it will work at 16.8w with reduced MCS rates.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have a number of 1250's without any power injector and powered into 3750 PoE switches (non-PoE). Both radio modules are working fine.

Don't know about the documentation.

Leo,

The doc was from a Cisco SE. If you have a 3750-E you can power up both radio's fine. You say that you have 3750 PoE and Non PoE? How are you powering up the ap's on the non PoE? 16.8w allows you to power up both radio's but only on the 2.4ghz is where it is limited. If you set the power at 50mW or less everything is fine. It is just if you set the 2.4ghz to 100mW. I too have many installs without E-Series switches with no issues at all.

-Scott

Scott,

Did a type-o there. :P

I meant to say that I have 1250's connected to a PoE switch but it's NON-ePoE (15.4 watts). I have both radios enabled and associated to WLC running 5.2 firmware.

By chance, I loaded the LWAP image of "c1250-rcvk9w8-tar.124-13d.JA.tar" and I noticed during the bootup the AP's were reporting something like "RM1 upgrading firmware".

Anyway, the 1250 associated to the WLC running 5.2.178 and presto! both radios are working but on a lower transmission power.

PS: I've already been told by the Cisco SE that due to a significant number of complaints from 1250 who didn't realize the power requirements, Cisco made some changes with their LWAP codes.

I understand.... I know they had a beta code of 4.2 that powered the 1252 with only 15.4w..... I guess they wanted to see how many people would go and upgrade their swithces.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: