cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

"Show Log" question off a Cisco Router

mortonjes
Level 1
Level 1

So this is probably a very easy question and I've done some searching on the net but can't seem to find an answer.

Does anyone know what the asterisks * means when in front of any given log entry?

I noticed that some log entries have them, yet some don't.

Example:

*Apr 16 10:53:14.454 EDT: %PIM-5-DRCHG: DR change from neighbor 0.0.0.0 to 10.0.0.2 on interface GigabitEthernet0/1

*Apr 16 11:07:19.002 EDT: %CLEAR-5-COUNTERS: Clear counter on all interfaces by localadmin on vty0 (10.10.2.21)

Apr 16 17:21:40.949 EDT: %PIM-5-NBRCHG: neighbor 10.0.0.1 DOWN on interface GigabitEthernet0/1 non DR

Apr 16 17:21:53.494 EDT: %PIM-5-NBRCHG: neighbor 10.0.0.1 UP on interface GigabitEthernet0/1

I know it's meaningless but I'm curious. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes. It means that during the time, your clock was not synchronized to an authoritative source.

Thanks for the reply but wouldnt the routers own clock be an authoritative source?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Depends on the router. New generations of routers, 1800, 2800, 3800, have built-in clocks. Older ones don't.

"Thanks for the reply but wouldnt the routers own clock be an authoritative source? "

Probably not unless you define the device as a NTP master.

PS:

BTW, often overlooked, you can sync the on-board clock (not just the running clock) to NTP. (Helps insure more accurate time logging during boot and until sync'ed with an external time source.)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: