ping loss to spa400

Unanswered Question
Apr 16th, 2009
User Badges:

I've been having some issues with the quality of voicemail recordings and in the process of troubleshooting I noticed that 1 of my 2 spa400's when sent a large number of pings (extended ping) from a cisco IOS device does not respond to many of them but the other of the 2 spa400's responds to all of them.  The spa400 running as the voicemail server is the one that shows lots of lost pings.  I am sending 8000 pings (extended ping option in IOS) of length 1421 waiting 8 seconds for timeout.  The loss can be 3% or higher when pinging the spa400 running as the voicemail server, but 0 % when pinging the spa400 with just phone lines attached.  Neither spa400 is being accessed via the web mgmt page nor has any phone calls being processed on it at the time of the testing.

My question is whether it is normal for a spa400 to not respond to large sized pings in a large volume when running the voicemail application or if I should continue to troubleshoot the situation with the spa400 further? Thanks.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Alberto Montilla Mon, 04/20/2009 - 07:47
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Dear Sir;

Definitively not a normal situation, all products should show 0% loss. Could you please let us know how many mailboxes (and phones) you have in this deployment? I assume this SPA400 does not have any PSTN line connected to it.

Regards;
Alberto

Patrick Born Mon, 04/20/2009 - 11:58
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Hi,

As Alberto said, this is not normal behavior.

Here are some suggestions:

1. Swap out the network cable to the SPA400 and test
  2. Move the SPA400 to another switch port and test
  3. Verify that the device has 1.1.2.2 version firmware installed
  4. Factory reset the SPA400 and test
  5. If the above do not correct the issue, the SPA400 probably has a hardware error and should be replaced under RMA.

Regards,

Patrick

----------

donwbpa3donwbpa3 Mon, 04/20/2009 - 20:40
User Badges:

Thanks.  I continued the troubleshooting based on the response.  It was a network connectivity issue, but the spa400 seemed to be more sensitive to the situation than the other devices--even after swapping out the ports the spa400 and the other devices were connected to (cabling and everything).  I am happy to say that I am back to 100 percent response. Thanks for the answer. -Don

Patrick Born Tue, 04/21/2009 - 07:00
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Thanks for letting us know that the issue is resolved. I appreciate the feedback.

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

Actions

This Discussion