Alternate method to Xmodem

Answered Question
Apr 16th, 2009
User Badges:

Hi All, I have a switch that a co-worker, while trying to upgrade the IOS, in the process deleted the existing IOS without successfully uploading the new IOS. Anyway I'm at the point of upgrading through Xmodem but, I have to imagine there is a quicker method.

Here are the details on the switch

Cisco 3750-48T

Any suggestions?

thanks,

Mike

Correct Answer by Joseph W. Doherty about 8 years 3 months ago

Also, if your 3750 and terminal simulator supports something better than Xmodem, use the better protocol. (Even Xmodem-1K.)

PS:

Unsure, but some hosts and Cisco devices might support even faster than 115K, if they do, use it.

Also, if you can, you might want to reset BAUD rate before actual reload. Otherwise, it might become the new default speed, which makes it difficult to get on the device at 9600 next time you need to.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Leo Laohoo Thu, 04/16/2009 - 21:33
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Other than X-Modem at 9600? Try changing the baud settings to 115K.

davy.timmermans Thu, 04/16/2009 - 23:54
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

As above said:

set BAUD 115200

disconnect the session and reconnect with the correct BAUD setting

Correct Answer
Joseph W. Doherty Fri, 04/17/2009 - 03:22
User Badges:
  • Super Bronze, 10000 points or more

Also, if your 3750 and terminal simulator supports something better than Xmodem, use the better protocol. (Even Xmodem-1K.)

PS:

Unsure, but some hosts and Cisco devices might support even faster than 115K, if they do, use it.

Also, if you can, you might want to reset BAUD rate before actual reload. Otherwise, it might become the new default speed, which makes it difficult to get on the device at 9600 next time you need to.

carbonscoring Fri, 04/17/2009 - 14:38
User Badges:

Thanks guys for your help, I wasen't able to TFTP I looked it up and you can only use this for Routers. I forgot about what Joseph said about reseting the Baud rate before reloading. Wasent a big issue I just had to reboot back into ROMMON mode and set the Baud rate from there.

thanks,

Mike

Actions

This Discussion