Views
Helpful
Replies

Primary Controller setting Issue

nizar.houichi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have configured a Wireless LAN with two WLC 4402-25 and 20 LWAPP 1131G.

I would like to make WLC failover for the LWAPP APs.

So I have registered all the APs on the First WLC. Then I have configured the first half of LWAPP with primary controller WLC-1 and secondary controller WLC-2. For the other APs, I have configured them with primary controller WLC-2 and Secondary controller WLC-1.

My issue is that when I have reloaded the APs, they have all registered with the WLC-1!!!

Can you help me please and thank you in advance.

4 Replies 4

jfafinski
Level 1
Level 1

Are you shure that connection beetween the AP the WLC-2 is OK? Can you ping the AP from the WLC-2?

If all you're AP connect to WLC-1 it's generaly because they don't manage to reach their primary controller.

Need more detail also.... are both wlc's on the same subnet? Did you configure the mobility group on each wlc and you are able to mping and eping from wlc to wlc? Is wlc-2 time set correctly? If you enable ap fallback on both wlc, you shouldn't have to reboot the ap's, but rebooting the ap's and consoling into one of then will show you why that ap will not join wlc-2. Post that log if you get a chance.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

1) first check that you can ping the second controller from an AP

2) make sure that both controllers are in the same mobility group, and that you can mping and eping each controller from the other one.

3) make sure that that AP Authentication list is fully populated on both controllers.

4) If all that seem to be correct, then reboot an AP and post the bootup and join log. Then log onto the second controller, "debug lwapp events enable", and reboot the same AP. Post that log as well if anything shows up at all.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Nizar,

1. What's the firmware of your WLC?

2. How are you entering the primary/secondary controllers GUI or CLI?

I know of a bug in the 3.X/4.X (not sure on the 5.0.X). If you are running on abovementioned firmware, the only way to set the primary/secondary/tertiary controllers is via the CLI on the WLC. The command is: config ap primary (secondary or tertiary) .

In the 5.2.X, a new feature called High Availability where the secondary/tertiary controllers are "broadcasted" to all the AP. UNFORTUNATELY, someone broke it and it won't work and I'm not sure that Cisco is trying to get this fixed before the next release.

Hope this helps.

NOTE: I'm not at work today and I don't memorize the command. So if I'm wrong, please do the "config ap primary ?". :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: