Unanswered Question
Apr 17th, 2009
User Badges:


can anyone explain to me how the transcoder is used, if i have 2 devices over the wan one talks g711 (e.g a sip trunk, or an ipcc) and the other talks g729 (normal ip phone) , where shall i put the transcoder and apply it to which device pool

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Jaime Valencia Fri, 04/17/2009 - 08:32
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,
  • Hall of Fame,


as close as you can to the device that will forcefully needs to use it, in this scenario a phone can use either G711 or G729, IPCC only one, so put in IPCC side



if this helps, please rate

MARWA AHMAD Fri, 04/17/2009 - 08:35
User Badges:

thank you for the reply

so i apply it to which device pool ? also which of them (phone or the ipcc) will request the transcoder

Please read the UCM SRND section on media resources ( This explains things very well.

Basically transcoding is only needed if one of the two devices can't speak the codec that is being negotiated. It sounds like IPCC would be the device that can't support g729 in this example. You should go ahead and put the transcoding resource in an MRG and MRGL that you put in both device pools. When the phone calls IPCC it will be the phone's media resource group list that is used to pick a transcoding resource.


This Discussion