Views
Helpful
Replies

transcoder

MARWA AHMAD
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

can anyone explain to me how the transcoder is used, if i have 2 devices over the wan one talks g711 (e.g a sip trunk, or an ipcc) and the other talks g729 (normal ip phone) , where shall i put the transcoder and apply it to which device pool

3 Replies 3

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

as close as you can to the device that will forcefully needs to use it, in this scenario a phone can use either G711 or G729, IPCC only one, so put in IPCC side

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

thank you for the reply

so i apply it to which device pool ? also which of them (phone or the ipcc) will request the transcoder

Please read the UCM SRND section on media resources (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/6x/media.html). This explains things very well.

Basically transcoding is only needed if one of the two devices can't speak the codec that is being negotiated. It sounds like IPCC would be the device that can't support g729 in this example. You should go ahead and put the transcoding resource in an MRG and MRGL that you put in both device pools. When the phone calls IPCC it will be the phone's media resource group list that is used to pick a transcoding resource.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: