cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2950G -48-EI (Physical topology - switch name and port)

GW M
Level 1
Level 1

I have several 2950G switch's connected together in a giga stack cascaded configuration. Is there a way via the CLI (remotely) to determine which physical 2950 switch name and port are connected to what neighboring 2950G physical switch name and port? Using the "show cdp neighbors detail" doesn't show me what switch name and port are physically connected to all other switch names and ports. It shows me neighboring switch's regardless of whether they are physically attached to one another. I would like to map out the physical connectivity between switch's (switch name1 GE port 1 is physically connected to switch name2 GE port 2 and so on) without having to trace out each physical cable at the remote location where the switch's exist.

2 Replies 2

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you find out let me know , we have these for one customer and we hate them , you can't find anything without logging into each switch in stack if you are looking for mac addresses etc... We are trying to talk to the user into getting rid of the stack setup , it uglyyyyyyyyyyy !!! Not one of cisco's better ideas .

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Let me understand what you are trying to achieve here.

You have a "stack" of 2950G with GigaStacking cable. Are you using "cluster" feature?

Are you trying to find out which switch in the stack corresponds to the physical stacking? Gee whiz. I myself can't understand what I'm typing ... What I meant is if Switch-1 is indeed the switch below the Stack Master?

From the switch cluster master, perform the following commands:

sh cluster member < --- This will tell you the model of the switch, stack position, MAC address and the number of hops.

Unfortunately, I had to do this exercise and I had to by physically there to console in.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card