Views
Helpful
Replies

AP's Disassociate from WLC4402

sean.cross
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Every evening, my access points disconnect from the controller. I have to reboot the controller for them to re-associate again. I don't know what is

causing this. Has anyone seen this before? Any advise will be much appreciated.

WLC4402 version 5.0.148.0

2 x Cisco Aironet 1231G

2 x Cisco Aironer 1242G

Trap Log from WLC

Thu Apr 16 AP Disassociated. Base Radio MAC:00:1b:90:57:a8:20

21:34:31 2009

Thu Apr 16 AP's Interface:1(802.11a) Operation State Down: Base Radio MAC:00:1b:90:57:a8:20

21:34:31 2009 Cause=Heartbeat Timeout

Thu Apr 16 AP's Interface:1(802.11b) Operation State Down: Base Radio MAC:00:1b:90:57:a8:20

21:34:31 2009 Cause=Heartbeat Timeout

7 Replies 7

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I understand 5.0 code is very very very buggy. TAC strongly suggested that we move off 5.0 and to 5.1.

This is something you may want to look at. Perhaps a TAC call yourself to confirm.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

I have gone through the bug list for this version of code. There is nothing specific for this kind of activity. Though I will contact TAC and see what they have to say.

How often does it happen? You can run telnet / ssh into a LWAPP ap. Perhaps there made be some interesting responses at the AP when it disconnets.

Also i would run a debug LWAPP events from the CLI at the controller.

When the AP does it thing you maybe able to see what the AP an controller are reporting.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Do a show ver on the ap and see if you see any hardware error like "watchdog timer expired".

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Scott has a very good advise about setting the AP's Advance Tab and Power Over Ethernet Settings. You have to choose either PoE Injector or Pre-Standard State.

This has been done - Using Pre-Standard State

Sean,

When you click on one of the ap's from the wireless tab on the wlc, what is the ap uptime? Does it look like it reboots? If so, you need to console into the ap and do a show version and look at what caused the ap to reboot. I have seen that with the 1252's... the radio shuts and then reboots automatically. Again, if the ap reboots then look to see if the error is a watchdog timer event.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card