cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NAC Installation

goutam_04
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have come to know that NAC and Wireless Controller need to be integreted in the same segment/LAN to work with wireless user as well as wired user. Can anyone tell me how does NAC works with wireless controller?

3 Replies 3

Not applicable

NAC works with WLC in two modes 1)In-Band 2)Out of band. In a traditional in-band Cisco NAC Appliance wireless deployment, all network traffic to or from wireless client machines passes through the Clean Access Server (CAS). For high throughput or highly routed environments, a Cisco NAC Appliance Wireless Out-of-Band (Wireless OOB) deployment allows client traffic to pass through the network only in order to be authenticated and certified before being connected directly to the access network

Hi,

If you deploy wireless oob which I understand needs to be adjacent to the WLC. Is it also possible to use the same NAC server appliance to do oob for branch office switches over a routed network ?

Thanks,

Mark

nagel
Level 1
Level 1

I have tried both models. In Band is definitely the better way to go. Simply include your Wireless Subnet as part of your NAC Configuration. (Just like your other wired subnets). OOB (IMHO) is still very clunky and utilizes 2 networks (Unauthenticated & Authenticated). Traffic commes in on Unauthenticated, Posture Assessment and/or remediation is done, and then there is an IPCONFIG RELEASE and then IPCONFIG RENEW to move the host over to authenticated subnet. Very Clunky and annoying to users. (Yea I know - here come the OOB guys). Anyway, we are satisfied with IB operation.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card